Social Anxiety Support Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Today, I went to Starbucks to order myself something to drink. The cashier was very friendly with smiles etc etc. When it was my turn to order, I noticed that she couldn't look me in the eye. Her voice seemed to be shaky, she kept pacing as if she needed to go to the restroom. I also noticed that her chest kept rising and falling as if her heart was pounding. She seemed very intimidated by me and also very nervous...as if I was someone important.

I ordered an apple juice and water, when she handed back my change her hands where very shaky and she seemed very hesitant.

I kept thinking to myself..."Wow, is she having an anxiety attack..." I felt so bad for her because I know how she feels. I wanted to say something to comfort her, but I know that would of probably made things worst. She had this look on her face like she hated her anxiety and wanted to cry.

Now I know how people see us :|

·
Banned
19,437 Posts
Yeah... I've had similar experiences. Sometimes I make "normal" people feel awkward by my awkwardness. So you met someone who's shier than yourself. :squeeze A sweet post. Thanks for sharing.

·
Registered
29 Posts
I would say now you know it doesnt look as bad as you have thought :)

What did you feel? Did you judge her for that? No. Would you reject her for being nervous? Definitely doesnt sound like that. Did you feel she was somehow inferior than others? I doubt.

Nervousness is one of the basic human emotions. We shouldnt be so ashamed of what we feel.

·
Lazy guy on the couch
54 Posts
I think we defiantly can spot our own... I Know i can.... I would love to talk to them, problem is I'm not exactly sure if they know what's going on, or what social anxiety even is...

·
Born Of Blotmonað
19,070 Posts
I've witnessed this often enough & I honestly never read that much into beyond the thought that I know how it feels to experience it. That said I find it extremely hard to apply this don't think much of it logic to my own experiences, I'm always embarrassed by them

·
Registered
2,672 Posts
A few years ago i was served by a girl in a local sandwich shop, she was only young and it was her dad's shop but her voice was really shakey and she was blushing. I kind of feel uncomfortable when i encounter someone who is also anxious but it's also easier to have empathy for them.

·
Registered
3 Posts
When a girl acts like that I alwasy think she LIKES ME~..............have you encountered MEN who act this way.....cause that is how I feel sometiems when talking to WOMEN........who I know like

·
Registered
267 Posts
Thats been happening to mean everytime I ride the bus and a girl my age sits next to me her leg shakes like the whole time and when I look over at her she doesn't make eye contact with me. You could have just asked if everything was allright in an innocent, non-judgemental way.

·
Registered
97 Posts
i've had a number of experiences over the years where I came across someone with more social anxiety than me. It's always a kind of weird, almost out of body experience where all of a sudden, I'm the more talkative person in the room.

·
On me "toes"
1,486 Posts
That's good you had the opportunity to 'see' some one else have this and have some empathy and compassion for her. I think an encouraging smile is enough, if you can get some one's attention to look at you, maybe gently touch her arm. I don't know if it would have made it worse or not, perhaps attention drawn to it would have, or it may have made it better. It depends on the individual.

·
More or less over it
561 Posts
This is a crushing feeling, seeing somebody in this state and knowing exactly what they're feeling. I wish it were more okay to hug strangers.

·
Registered
1,141 Posts
Oh, that poor girl. I have been in her position.

For me, it was male customers that would set off my panic and then half the cappachino would be in the saucer, I was shaking that much.

That fear would travel all the way back to my very young teen years where my dad would tell me, "no man will ever approve of you"

So male customers who I thought were leering at me set me into a panic attack, cause if they looked too closely they would see I was not good enough.

So I affirmed it with a panic attack.
One of the other girls I was working with, wanted to know what was wrong with me.

I feel her pain, extremely

·
Registered
2 Posts
i think the best way to handle it would be just to give that person a warm loving smile. if you say something then you make it obvious which nobody wants. but just a gratefull i think your awesome kind of smile cheers everyone up.

·
Registered
871 Posts
wow i kinda feel bad for the girl. she musta had SA and prolly was her first week on the job or something

·
Banned
121 Posts
Today, I went to Starbucks to order myself something to drink. The cashier was very friendly with smiles etc etc. When it was my turn to order, I noticed that she couldn't look me in the eye. Her voice seemed to be shaky, she kept pacing as if she needed to go to the restroom. I also noticed that her chest kept rising and falling as if her heart was pounding. She seemed very intimidated by me and also very nervous...as if I was someone important.

I ordered an apple juice and water, when she handed back my change her hands where very shaky and she seemed very hesitant.

I kept thinking to myself..."Wow, is she having an anxiety attack..." I felt so bad for her because I know how she feels. I wanted to say something to comfort her, but I know that would of probably made things worst. She had this look on her face like she hated her anxiety and wanted to cry.

"The shy person does have some slight revenge upon society for the torture it inflicts upon them. They are able, to a certain extent, to communicate their misery. They frighten other people as much as they frighten them. They act like a damper upon the whole room, and the most jovial spirits become, in their presence, depressed and nervous." - Jerome K. Jerome

·
Registered
83 Posts
I thought I had problems with getting up and talking in front of people but I took a speech class some years ago and one time a girl could not finish her speech and stated she was too nervous to go on. I imagine this hurt her grade but she seemed to pull herself together for other speeches and the teacher seemed willing to work with her. It is strange and somewhat sobering to find others who have even worse social anxiety than I do.

·
Registered
978 Posts
It's very surreal when I've seen someone I've thought has social anxiety. I want to reach out and touch their hand and say, "It's okay. I understand." But that would be weird. Most of the time, I feel like it's my fault--it's my awkwardness that's evoking the other person's anxiety. I blame myself for everything.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts