Social Anxiety Support Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
873 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Like my good (now deceased) AA friend, Jim, used to always say. I used to go there (AA) for my food addiction because alcoholics are w-a-y more fun than foodaholics.

Nonetheless, I keep eating refined sugar and chocolate and giving myself horrendous migraine headaches!

When the h--- will I ever learn?! :con

I guess I'm just not sick and tired enough of being sick and tired! :mum

Star :stu

·
You can do this!
4,464 Posts
((((((star))))))))

Confessed compulsive overeater here. I have been in a similar loop myself. I decided that I was sick and tired of it and wrote down a date and just made up my mind that on that date, I was going to make a promise to myself to be abstinent. But of course in my case, I'm younger and maybe breaking the links are easier or something.

I'm doing okay, I've been abstinent for a while now and only fell off the wagon a few times. I count that as good in my book. I just keep using the "put it off" technique (try and distract myself from wanting to cram my hole by doing something else). I also do a lot of the "just for this hour" thing, I ask myself to be abstinent just for the next hour (hours are easier than days!). :lol I'm also on Topamax which can work wonders for binge eating disorder, so far it seems to take the edge off but it may be placebo or just my cognitive techniques and self-effort. I haven't really taken the 12 steps view so much as an ED tack. What I've found out is that there is this huge well of depression that gets covered over by my eating, so I have to turn and face that and that scares the **** out of me. But really, I didn't start to feel that turning point until I started to explore to myself the questions like "why am I doing this? what do I get out of it emotionally? What am I feeling when I do this?".

The falling off the wagon thing is hard. Two days ago fell off, binged hard. Then yesterday it was like, "what's the point" and binged again all day. But today, I dunno, I was able to pick myself up and go back ahead with things. Effing hard.

So now I'm going to be a real jerk and ask you those questions. Do you know why you do this? What do you get out of it emotionally? What are you feeling when you do it, before during and after? Maybe you already know but I figure it can't hurt to ask.

·
Registered
81 Posts
leilanistar said:
Like my good (now deceased) AA friend, Jim, used to always say. I used to go there (AA) for my food addiction because alcoholics are w-a-y more fun than foodaholics.

Nonetheless, I keep eating refined sugar and chocolate and giving myself horrendous migraine headaches!

When the h--- will I ever learn?! :con

I guess I'm just not sick and tired enough of being sick and tired! :mum

Star :stu
I'm a binge eater/periodic faster. Definately OCD with food/body image.

Star: How long have you been doing AA for your food addiction? Do you find it effective for this? Do you do the steps? Do they know you are there for something other than alcoholism? (yeah, okay, I'll quit)

Caedmon: I've never heard anyone use the word abstinence in relation to food. I'll have to see if I am brave enough to consider your terminology and questions.

·
You can do this!
4,464 Posts
Well you do have to define what "abstinent" is going to mean for you. For many people it means no refined sugar/flour but it can mean other things. I have my own definition of what abstinent means. I think it takes some exploring. It's important for it not to become too much of a calorically defined thing, iow abstinent means "I will not have more than x calories", I think that becomes self-defeating. We've probably all tried that one before, and failed.

·
Registered
994 Posts
I happen to think binging is one of the harder addictions/compulsions to break. You quit smoking, you no longer smoke, you quit drinking, you don't drink alcohol...........You want to quit binging, yet you still HAVE to eat food.

I also wonder how many bingers have addictions/compulsions that they have beat, to replace it with eating............I have found, I break one.........I pick up another............

I think most addictions come from the same "Place" (personal opinion),

Star have you found you eat when angry..................Depression turned inwards over anxiety that we can't seem to control...............Because.....We have a tendency to take things personally..........Just a thought;-)

·
Registered
81 Posts
Caedmon said:
Well you do have to define what "abstinent" is going to mean for you. For many people it means no refined sugar/flour but it can mean other things. I have my own definition of what abstinent means. I think it takes some exploring. It's important for it not to become too much of a calorically defined thing, iow abstinent means "I will not have more than x calories", I think that becomes self-defeating. We've probably all tried that one before, and failed.
Well, yes.. the basic definition doesn't relegate it's application to a particular topic or extreme.... we do that or society does it for us.

I do the "procrastination" thing like you do. I also will drive deliberately on roads or in a lane that doesn't allow me to go to places that have things that are particularly tempting. lol I don't struggle in the grocery store much - that's and OCD place for me - shop by the list.. because the list is for... oh.. don't get me started. ;)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.