Social Anxiety Support Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone, I am new here so I will give a quick intro. I am 26, I have a social anxiety. I used to get panic attacks a few years ago but haven't really experienced them as of lately. So I am really scared. Wait! No, terrified. I start a new job tomorrow. It's not my first job, I have actually had a stable work history. But one I was a manager at a food business for 5 years, I also work as a public safety officer which I plan to drop if this job goes well. This job is in an office environment. I am not used to this. Also, I am not used to being the new person. The only time I have been a new person is when I was with 80 other new people. I can get so frustrated because when I try to talk about how I feel nervous and am overloy worried people don't see it as a big deal. It is a big deal. What if these people I am working with don't like me? I mean, I tend to be very quiet. What if I say or do something stupid..what if I look stupid?? I am used to wearing uniforms and such so what if I walk in there with my outfit looking totally hideous. What if I can't absorb anything I am being taught in training. What if I don't make it? What if sometime thru-out the day I start getting light headed and my hands start sweating. What if I get taken back to that day of when I experienced a full blown panic attack. I don't know. I am just frustrated. I don't know how I became like this.. it has been def. holding me back in life. And the worst part of having social anxiety..my seven year old son misses out on certain things because I am not comfortable taking him out to places by myself. EEEK. I am sorry for the book and errors, everything just came out at once, I honeslty did not have time to organize my thoughts. lol

·
Registered
153 Posts
You're being irrationally negative. Too many hypotheticals. Too much defeatism.

There's a MUCH greater chance that everything will go great. Everyone is nervous about starting a new job. It is a major life-change. Breathe. Relax. Allow the day to unfold naturally. You'll want to introduce yourself to your new co-workers, but there should be no pressure to find a best friend on the first day. Friendships develop organically, over time. Go with the flow, ask questions, get involved, act interested, upbeat. They are NOT out to get you. You'll be fine.

·
Registered
60 Posts
I have faith in you. I have a co-worker who says he has social anxiety, I was so surprised to hear that! I see him as a very friendly, confident person, more so than myself. We can be our own worst enemy. Do your best, be friendly, people know it's your first day. Take it one day at a time. I agree they are not out to get you. Congrats on your job!

·
Registered
229 Posts
my first job and only job has been in the office and i wouldn't worry too much the first time i started everyone has been friendly with me and introduced theirselves to me made me feel welcomed even my boss was nice and welcoming now he yells at me lmao but its cool cause he yells at everybody

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks everyone. I hope everything goes well. We will see how it goes tomorrow. I really need a job like this because you get health insurance, this way I can sign up for CBT. Ahhhh!,lol

1 - 5 of 5 Posts