Social Anxiety Support Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm a sophomore in high school, and last week I didn't feel like going to school one day so I just skipped. And now I haven't been to school in 7 days.

I'm new to this school, and I've missed a lot of school this year already because I hate it there. It's a really small school, only 250 kids, so I feel like I stand out even more and people are always looking at me and judging me. The only friends I've made are the guys that want to get in my pants. And when I start rejecting them, they make things awkward and usually stop talking to me. I literally sit in class the whole period and don't say a word in most of my classes. I kind of hate everyone in the school. The girls are mostly stuck up. They've said two words to me the entire year. And I know its a two way thing, but they've all grown up together since kindergarten. So I would just feel weird and uncomfortable trying to talk to them first because they all hang out in one big clique. All everyone does is talk behind my back about which guy I'm going out with, because everyone starts rumors. And I don't get why anyone would care because they don't even talk to me, or how its anyone's business. I pretty much hate this highschool.

Every night I tell myself I'm gonna go to school tomorrow, but I get this huge wave of dread. And I start over thinking everything. I feel like everyone is going to make fun of me because I already missed a lot of days before this, but now I just missed seven consecutive days. And I get really hot and my heart starts pounding and I feel like I'm going to die. So I tell myself I'll just relax and go to school the next day. I feel like I'm going insane. I've always been a shy kid. But I recently found out about social anxiety and I'm pretty sure I have it. But the only time I feel like this is when I have to go to school, or a place where I'm surrounded by people my own age. I can go out and talk to a group of adults with no problem.

Sorry for such a long post. I just kind of needed to vent. I know I need to go back to school and I cant avoid it forever. And I know freaking out over it is silly because it's not a big deal. So if anyone has any advice about how to control my anxiety, I would appreciate it so much.

·
Registered
324 Posts
Did you tell your parents?

Pardon me if I sound like an old fart, but the point of school is getting an education, not avoiding rumors. So screw those kids. They don't know anything.

The next time you start over-thinking things in the morning, don't listen to yourself. You know what's going to happen if you do. Okay, I know it's hard to do that, but seriously, just don't. Pretend that you just completely lost it and that you no longer give a **** about anything. If anything does happen at school, you can sort things out there.

If you think you can't do this by yourself, you should explain the situation to your parents/guardians. If they're responsible, they will force you to go. That's probably the most effective solution, if not the most painless one. Also, they will find out eventually. You might as well go back on your own without going through extra drama at home.

Talk to your guidance counselor or a teacher when you go back. You can explain why you were absent and get help if you need to.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah, my parents just think I've been sick. I wish school was just for learning. But half the teachers really don't give a **** about teaching. So they let us socialize the whole period. And I just feel uncomfortable.

Thanks for your advice! It helped. I don't feel as nervous about going back, reading through these forums is kind of comforting.

·
Banned
3,831 Posts
I'm in a similar boat. But I'm just behind on work. Need to do about 2 weeks worth of courses in one day starting and ending tomorrow or I'll probably be booted from 3 of my 5 classes. Yikes... Tomorrow isn't gonna be fun or easy.

·
Ying&Yang
685 Posts
This sounds alot like how I used to be in high school. Omg I hated school so much. But y best advice I would give you is to try to suck it up and try to better yourself. Go to school for yourself not for all those people your complaining about. Go for you not for them. I hope eveythig works ot for the best Hun.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts