Social Anxiety Support Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I dont wanna put too much out because its a public forum and because it'll confuse people but basically all my life i've had Pure Obsessional OCD (Yes diagnosed). To put it short, I worry about irrational things in irrational ways.

Ex: I might fear I have a medical condition so i research the internet all day for weeks non stop. I will take cliff notes of my "ressearch" and even take note of things that are not related. Every where I go i have to repeat the cliff notes of my research to reassure myself that I dont have any medical conditions.

Because of this, all my life I've been holding back. Whehter it is social situations, girls, career, or even gym. At any given time 90% of the day there is a ritual there are facts, phrases, or something that I have to repeatin my mind. If not I'l have a ton of anxiety.

Right now, it feels like something i said or the way I acted at work might have offended some people. I spent my entire friday and saturday rethinking what i did over and over again and tried to see if a person would've been offended. I will prob go into work monday self concious and wont be calm until said person says something to me , which will reassure me that "im ok, that person wasnt mad at all."

Therapy has taught me that I should accept things I cant change. I should be saying "so what if I did offend said person. Who cares. I'm confident enough to fix whatever problem comes my way if and when it comes"

What also helps is to think of the big picture. 6 billion people on this planet. This is one job, one person. I have my entire life ahead of me. I have bigger problems to worry about (carreer, parents, building personal relationships).

Are there other ways I should thik that would help me?

lately, being at a new job, I find myself having huge social anxiety and caring ALOT about what people think. My ultimate goal is to stop putting myself below others. "THEY'RE the ones who should care what I think" mentality would be a good way to think?

So I need to know...Am I heading in a good direction? Because it is TOUGH to not think about it but I hate being a ***** to another person's opinion. If this is the right step to take, il be much more motivated to do so because it feels like im doing something wrong by actually being happy instead of feeling guilty and rethinking

·
Registered
1,388 Posts
thats rough. the only right direction is making yourself feel good. Be selfish. be greedy. if you arent making yourself happy, noone else will. do everything you can to put yourself first.

you are absolutely doing the right thing. noone expects you to make them happy, so why should you try to. the moment you get any thought about someone else's feelings, speak in your mind "no". refuse the thoughts from happening. Actually have a conversation in your head telling yourself to stop thinking this. Rationalize things. as if you were talking to someone else who was having the same problem. even if you feel like you still care what other people think, it dosent matter. it is important to talk to yourself about feeling something different. When you first developed your OCD, your thoughts started out (however subconscious they were) negative. they became so natural, you are here asking me if not thinking about what other people think is the right way to stop thinking about what other people think. Sounds a bit ridiculous when i put it that way dosent it? Your thoughts are automatically negative. You MUST reverse this. First, try to identify your negative thoughts. you should know when they start coming on. Second, use self talk to have a rational conversation in your brain about your feelings. even if you dont believe what you are saying, just keep saying it. eventually, these positive thoughts will come to replace your negative thoughts. you will automatically have self talk and it will become more and more natural until you dont even realize it. If you told a totally confident person to think that they were idiotic, do you think they would believe it at first? no. If you told a confident person to think that they were idiotic for a month do you think that they would believe it then? absolutely. this is how SA develops. It works the same way getting out of sa. remember. even if you dont believe the positive things you tell yourself, just keep doing it. eventually it will sink in.
Only when the positive self talk becomes second nature will you truly start to believe it.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the encouragement man. Ive missed out soooo much in life and now due to mental illness am not able to do things i really want (police officer / military).

When I look at the big picture, it really helps. Seriously 10 years from now, IM the person who will have a failed career, no relationships, feeling miserable all day long....the person who i worried about offending will be long gone and HAPPY!!!

Hell even if I did offend said person, they'll take joy in knowing that I'm miserable. Cant let that happen !

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.