Social Anxiety Support Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm nearly 20 years old and in college (essentially my first year). I realize that money makes the world go round. We live in a capitalistic society, and so one needs money. I have never had a job in my life. Do I think I could handle a fast food or outlet job? Yes. It might suck with SA though.
I would love to be able to stay at home. Get an apartment and just be generating enough income to not have to leave.

Also...here's an unrelated question. When trying to find a girlfriend, should you go out of your way to find one...like make an effort? Or just wait for the lucky circumstances where you meet a girl and start dating her? Like should I go up to girls I think are attractive and talk to them? Or just wait to meet one? I don't know. Hardly anybody wants to talk to me anyway because I'm so anxious. I realize I'm like Lt. Barclay from Star Trek TNG.

·
Well Fed Troll
309 Posts
I think everyone here is like Lt. Barclay from TNG XD And hell, if I was given the chance, I'd live out my WHOLE life in the Holodeck, and I wouldn't be wasting it with lame medevil simulations either, if you know what I mean *giggity* (Enough of that)

My first job was quite a difficult step for me. I was about 19 I think, and I just went and joined a grocery store. It was a rough adjustment. But after a few weeks, It started to become routine. I still work there, Only part time; and I can say looking back 2 years, I was COMPLETELY different to how I am now. . . I'm not 100% happy with my attitude, but at least I'm not shy, quiet, and awkward anymore.

Girls? Depends how badly you want one I guess. I just came out of a 5yr relationship and I'm not interesting in looking anytime soon.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I highly recommend getting a job in retail. I worked at a video store at 19. It was my first job and at first it was terrifying but in the long run it helped with my anxiety so much. Getting out of your comfort zone and confronting your fears can do wonders for your self-esteem.

·
Registered
270 Posts
Getting a job was and still is like THE hardest thing I think I've done. You have to sell yourself (HAH), and for me, I never really had any experience doing whatever I was applying for, so there was 0 confidence. Fortunately, pretty much everywhere retail would rather you apply online, so that makes it a little easier. Then you build up to a phone call, then the interview. It took time to get used to not only talking to strangers, but seeking them out to make sure they were ok.

I had a weekend shift at Lowe's a couple years ago where all I did was ask people if they found what they needed. I literally stood post at the end of my dept. and walked the isles looking for people to pester. I have a fascination with human behavior/psychology, so it became a game for me after a while. After the first few days, you adjust... Slowly, but you can do it.

As far as the girlfriend.. Don't get in a hurry. Be social, but don't make it a priority to get a girl right now. That seems to cloud your judgment when it comes to figuring out whether she's worth dating in the long run.

·
Registered
1,197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
@Juice Box
Hey. You're a girl. Date me. Lol jk.

Anyway, I don't know. It really has to get better. And I don't know how to make it better. Like either it gets better or I invest in writing a bestselling novel that makes me millions and I never have to work again.

·
Registered
270 Posts
lol I'm a mess. No one should date me.

It gets better the more you do. If you just sit inside and keep to yourself, you're not forcing yourself to grow like you need to, forcing yourself to get over your fears. I can usually push through getting things done, but that doesn't mean I don't have a panic attack right after when I get back in my car... Takes time and experience to really make any improvement.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts