Social Anxiety Support Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yesterday at work I suddenly felt nauseous and woozy. Everything was going black and speckly so I was walking inside to sit down on a chair and warm up and the next thing I knew I was on the ground and my hat was knocked off because I had done a face-plant into the ground.

I was hoping nobody would notice but some people were behind me and I felt like a complete tool. I don't even know why that happens. I've fainted a couple other times (not recently, other than this time), and I had to run outside and throw up into a snowbank one time.

I didn't have breakfast (I usually don't, but sometimes I will have yogurt or an apple) but the night before I actually had a balanced meal so I wasn't starved or anything. (But I know it can still screw up your blood sugar if you don't eat regular meals.)

That is really unsettling. I felt like complete **** the rest of the day, and today I have a bruise on my cheek.

Has anybody else fainted before? Or just suddenly get really nauseous and have to run to the toilet or a garbage can (or a snowbank) to throw up?

I was just wondering if it was because of anxiety or just not taking care of myself in general. My sisters have fainted before too, but they don't have anxiety disorders.

·
HaloOfDarkness
608 Posts
Yes actually, I black out all the time, well it's more like a woozy faint feeling and I feel like I'm going to pass out. I nearly lose my vision for a couple seconds but if I sit down and lay my head back then I start to feel okay but if I get up right away then I feel like I'm going to pass out all over again. I think it's diabetes but I'm not sure. Someone told me to take more vitamins and definitely eat more things with iron in them and vitamin D.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes actually, I black out all the time, well it's more like a woozy faint feeling and I feel like I'm going to pass out. I nearly lose my vision for a couple seconds but if I sit down and lay my head back then I start to feel okay but if I get up right away then I feel like I'm going to pass out all over again. I think it's diabetes but I'm not sure. Someone told me to take more vitamins and definitely eat more things with iron in them and vitamin D.
I get that too. I am not the type of person who can just jump out of bed in the morning because I feel like I will pass out.

I just looked it up and I found this page:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Orthostatic_hypotension

I've had that my whole life, but I never used to just randomly faint.

·
HaloOfDarkness
608 Posts
For some reason after I read that I started twitching because I had a sudden feeling that there was no blood in the upper region of my body. Even though there is, it was more of a dilusion or something, I couldn't help but shrink up and twitch. Sounds pretty accurate though. So what are we suppose to do? Just move really slowly throughout the day and never shock our bodies into sudden movement or we might startle the blood flow. That's scary. I have to twitch again. I think I'm just going to do some kind of yoga and take more vitamins, see if that works. I can't go see a doctor because I don't have any insurance but hopefully it's not life threatening.

·
Registered
527 Posts
Yesterday at work I suddenly felt nauseous and woozy. Everything was going black and speckly so I was walking inside to sit down on a chair and warm up and the next thing I knew I was on the ground and my hat was knocked off because I had done a face-plant into the ground.

I was hoping nobody would notice but some people were behind me and I felt like a complete tool. I don't even know why that happens. I've fainted a couple other times (not recently, other than this time), and I had to run outside and throw up into a snowbank one time.

I didn't have breakfast (I usually don't, but sometimes I will have yogurt or an apple) but the night before I actually had a balanced meal so I wasn't starved or anything. (But I know it can still screw up your blood sugar if you don't eat regular meals.)

That is really unsettling. I felt like complete **** the rest of the day, and today I have a bruise on my cheek.

Has anybody else fainted before? Or just suddenly get really nauseous and have to run to the toilet or a garbage can (or a snowbank) to throw up?

I was just wondering if it was because of anxiety or just not taking care of myself in general. My sisters have fainted before too, but they don't have anxiety disorders.
This doesn't sound good. You should probably go and see a doctor about it. It's certainly not normal, and probably isn't anxiety related.

·
Banned
118 Posts
I got bit by a dog at work and of course everyone rushed around me. I got woozy from being the centre of attention and having everyone look at me but played it off from the shock of the bite. So embarrassing!

I do know some people that have problems with fainting for no reason (none of them have anxiety disorders that I know of).

·
Banned
12,147 Posts
Well, epilepsy is a little different but kind of the same. I know the feeling. I was sitting at my desk one night reading something online. I picked up my soda to take a drink and suddenly had what's called a myoclonic jerk. That basically causes my arms to jerk. So I apparently threw the soda across the room. Whenever that happens, I always get this really bizarre feeling. Like a really paranoid feeling.

Anyway, one minute I was sitting there kind of confused and the next thing I knew, I was face down on the floor with my left cheek to the carpet. I just kind of slowly came around and it was so odd because for a few minutes, it was like it was normal for me to be in the floor like that. I didn't think it was weird even though I should have. I was just "Oh, here I am. I'm on the floor and my head hurts and my tongue hurts and this is the way it's supposed to be". And then I realized my glasses were laying perfectly on the carpet about a foot in front of my face as though I'd folded them and placed them there. "Why are my glasses there? Oh well. Why does my friggin' back hurt so bad? Why is there blood on the carpet?"

Yeah. It's weird. I hate that. I never know when I wake up, where I'm going to be or why. Your situation sound like it could be diabetes but I do believe people have blacked out from some sort of anxiety related thing too.

·
Banned
1,198 Posts
the only time that i have felt woozy and almost fainted (had to lay on the ground) was when i pierced my ear with a needle. other then that, never due to anxiety. anxiety only gives me head aches and i can't think straight but never have fainted because of it.

·
Registered
215 Posts
Yeah, I've fainted before. Ever since about a year ago, I've blacked out at least 5 times and fainted 3 times. I've done research on diabetes, and it might be that. Never gotten tested though, so I wouldn't know.

Actually, I just fainted the day before yesterday. I was reading about some side effects of medications, and what I read was really shocking. The shock, I think, was what caused me to faint. My fainting usually occurs for one of two reasons, 1) I just get out of the shower and the change of temperature causes me to faint, or 2) shock/disgust causes me to faint.

What's weird about blackouts, though, is that they always convince me that I'm about to die. All I want to do is to get my vision back to normal. It's very surreal. And it's the strangest thing in the world when you find yourself lying on the floor and don't even remember how you got there...

·
Registered
1,475 Posts
I used to faint a lot when I was a teenager (the last time was during an exam). You really should see a doctor to make sure there isn't an underlying problem causing it. I've been getting light-headed/dizzy a lot lately (not quite fainting though) and am seeing a doctor tomorrow about it (and a couple of other things).

It is embarrassing when it happens, but people are more likely to be concerned that you are okay rather than finding it amusing. Anyway, people forget. I've fainted in school numerous times, at bus stops, in hospital (visiting my new-born neice, ended up waking up in a hospital bed - that was embarrassing), and various other places, but no-one else remembers these, or if they do they never mention them.

Do get checked out at the doctor's. There are various reasons for this happening, so you should go.

Take care,

Steve :)

·
HaloOfDarkness
608 Posts
I remember not too long ago when I was in the shower and the water was as hot as it could be, it has to be as hot as I can stand it to be. I'm just wierd like that but anyway, I don't think the reason I blacked out was because of the water being too hot because my showers are always really hot and I've never passed out before. I remember standing in the shower and feeling really woozy and light headed. I turned the water to cold and rested my head against the shower wall. Even though my eyes were closed, I could feel the room around me spinning. I fell backwards and caught myself. All I could think was that I needed to get out and lay down. I was starting to lose vision, everything was getting blurry and I was stumbling out of the shower trying to reach my foot to the floor. I fell immediately and everything was blurry as blur could be. I don't know why I didn't lay there when I fell, for some reason, in my mind I felt like I needed to get back up, when I tried to get back up, I only made it on my knees, fell again and bashed my nose on the platform of the tub. I felt severe pain in my nose as if it was broken, still not all there, I tried to get up again and this time bashed the back of my head on the toilet. All I could think was that i literally just got my *** beat by all the bathroom components. I sat on the floor resting my head on my arm that was resting against the platform of the bathroom. I waited for my vision to come back and for the dizziness to disappear. As soon as I could see clearly, I saw blood pouring from the side of the tub and then I puddle of blood on the floor. I knew my nose was bleeding because I could taste it running into my mouth and my nose felt like it was broken but I was too weak to touch it or do anything. I thought that maybe I was bleeding from the back of my head but I knew if I lifted my head up from my arm then I would crash into the tub again and have no control of how fast or how slow I go down. It was insane. Somewhere in between all this, I thought for sure that I was going to die. The bathroom was kicking my *** and this is how it's going to go down. Started to feel a little better after a while of sitting there, got up, started to feel sick again, took care of my bloody nose, turned out I wasn't bleeding from the back of my head but felt a bruise coming through already, went and layed down on the bedroom floor and passed out.

·
Banned
12,147 Posts
For those of you who think it may have something to do with your blood sugar level, if it starts out with disturbances in your vision, it is probably low blood sugar, rather than high. Do people who are around you when it happens tell you that you behave strangely? My mother has diabetes and she sometimes takes more insulin than she needs, which causes her blood sugar level to go really low.

When it happens she complains of seeing "white light" and she just generally acts really strange. She usually wants someone to call an ambulance because she's not thinking properly and doesn't realize if she'd just lay down and eat something sweet, she'd be OK in a while. If you guys think it might be that, you should try getting some chewable glucose tablets and keep them with you. When you start feeling strange, chew a few and lay down. Maybe drink some orange juice if you have some. If it's low blood sugar, it might take a while for it to pass even after you get some sweets into you.

·
Your Assumptions
7,027 Posts
I had my last episode like that just over a month ago. I ended up lying on the pavement in the rain so that I would not faint. That worked; however, I still got sick.

I get this sort of thing quite often, mostly with anxiety and overload. They have ruled out physical causes, but being underweight might be contributing a little.

·
Registered
1,130 Posts
I have never completely passed out, but I almost did when I was around twelve. I didn't eat breakfast, and I jumped into a hot shower. Suddenly my vision was speckled black, and I felt like I might fall over. I knew I was about to pass out, so I hurried out of the shower and layed in my bed. I asked my doctor about it later and she said it was due to not eating breakfast, the hot shower, and other contributing factors. Definitely talk to your doctor about it!

·
Registered
23 Posts
If you guys think it might be that, you should try getting some chewable glucose tablets and keep them with you. When you start feeling strange, chew a few and lay down..
That sounds genius. If I remember I'll look for some on my next trip to the grocery store.

To the OP, I've never actually passed out, but the episodes were always because I wasn't taking care of myself nutritionally. A regular panic attack turns into a severe one when your body has nothing to pull from.
I try to keep Coke or RedBull on hand all of the time at home. In case I leave the house without eating, at least I'll be able to grab a RedBull on the way out. Bagels are a good to-go item for stomach fillers, too.

·
Registered
10 Posts
ive fainted out of anxiety before. I remember I was a senior in highschool and I was getting ready for school and I had a panic attack just thinking about how the day would be. I began to feel a cold sweat and that anxiety feeling u get, only it was an exaggerated version; I was putting on my mascara and next thing I knew i woke up on the floor along with my mascara rubd across my face and arm. >.>

1 - 16 of 16 Posts