Social Anxiety Support Forum banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
558 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I see a few old recovery stories but there aren't many new ones. Do people on this site even TRY to overcome social anxiety? Because I always see way more people viewing the frustration and dealing with social anxiety sections and only a few viewing the therapy. Does that mean there are too many of us not willing to try to overcome this?

And please don't just view my question like one of the last times I asked one. Please at least give me your oppinion. Thank You.

·
Super Moderator
9,458 Posts
There's a whole board dedicated to "Triumphs over Social Anxiety". As far as I know, I'm not sure if you can definitely cure SA, but you can certainly make sure it doesn't take over your life. Some people who have managed to improve might become less active on the forum because they're pushing themselves to be out there and doing other things, so maybe that's why you haven't come across many. And a couple of months ago 2 members got engaged to each other. I see that as a success. :]

But it's definitely true that more people view the Frustration thread than anything else. I try not to go on it too much because it's quite a negative side of the forum, but at the same time it's the most relatable side. And yes, it's pretty understandable that with a disorder like SA, people are less willing to overcome it, because it's scary.

·
Registered
558 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
There's a whole board dedicated to "Triumphs over Social Anxiety". As far as I know, I'm not sure if you can definitely cure SA, but you can certainly make sure it doesn't take over your life. Some people who have managed to improve might become less active on the forum because they're pushing themselves to be out there and doing other things, so maybe that's why you haven't come across many. And a couple of months ago 2 members got engaged to each other. I see that as a success. :]

But it's definitely true that more people view the Frustration thread than anything else. I try not to go on it too much because it's quite a negative side of the forum, but at the same time it's the most relatable side. And yes, it's pretty understandable that with a disorder like SA, people are less willing to overcome it, because it's scary.
Aw they got engaged :) That's a great success in my oppinion. I agree it is the most relatable side. But who cares how scary it is to overcome it? I would rather overcome most of my fear than live with unbearable fear for the rest of my life.

·
Registered
27 Posts
obviously if someone cured his/her SA they would never visit this forum unless they really care about helping others..Normal people have so many fun things to do...

·
Registered
742 Posts
Personally, if I ever overcome SA I would want to leave it behind me forever. Including this forum. I would probably never go here again. Though I'm pretty sure I'd write my success-story here before I left.

·
Registered
63 Posts
The most effective ways of treating SA are also the hardest effort wise.
On a similar note it's easier to complain about a problem than it is to fix it
(Not taking a stab, everyone gets frustrated and needs to vent)

I think it's totally possible to overcome social anxiety, but it is difficult journey.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I don't know why so many people are not optimistic about SA. They say, "You probably can't ever completely get rid of SA," but I think that's ridiculous. You just need to know how to conquer it!! I completely believe that if a person is willing he/she can overcome any problem. It's just a fear...a fear of people and social situations. It can be overcome just like any other fear.
I'm almost wondering if this site doesn't sort of make people linger in SA. It seems like many people just wallow in their SA and depression...I think that it's a good Idea to talk about issues...but not to wallow in them. And this site is no substitute for real social interactions. :)

·
Registered
471 Posts
Never? Are you sure Because I'm pretty sure I read at least a few success stories....It is possible to cure, actually I've read it's one of the most treatable mental illnesses.My sister has schizophrenia so imagine having to deal with that, it would be even more difficult probably. Cognitive behavioral therapy and exposure therapy are your best bet I believe. It probably took years to develop your SA to the point it's at, so don't be discouraged if it takes a while to overcome it.

·
Registered
1,388 Posts
Haven't seriously posted on this site in 4 months. Haven't even visited it in more than 2. I always wondered why I never saw success stories when I used to come here all the time, and now I know why: once you improve to a certain point, there's no reason to come to this forum. I wouldn't say I'm cured, but I'm miles from where I was, and while I always look to improve, if I lived the rest of my life with the level of anxiety I have, that would be quite alright. SA isn't near as big of a problem as it was before, so I don't come to SAS.

Also, I did it with therapy. Keep at it...

·
Registered
151 Posts
Yeah it's kind of rare to see success stories on here. This forum is pretty depressing.
The posts I find depressing are the ones where people try to rationalize their situation (they're usually the relationship threads) and say they're better off. That's giving up. Just completely giving up.

To the original question, if I had a life, I wouldn't be here to talk about it. I'd be busy living it.

·
Registered
2,804 Posts
There are some circulating that kind of get pushed back by all the negative threads. I've also kept in touch with some older members and they're doing well but just don't come on here any more, I think that's more key... when people do well they have less use of this forum, which I guess makes sense. But there is more success than you're likely to see, keep working on things and hopefully you'll be the next one to get there.

·
Registered
576 Posts
I've actually written books about social interaction, but never thought there was anything therapeutic about it. What I thought, rather, was that my non-social nature gave me a kind of objectivity which most people don't have. I could study social interaction the way one observes microbes under a microscope.

·
Registered
576 Posts
Here is a quote from Carl Jung. I take this to be his excuse for never having helped anyone: "the principal aim of psychotherapy is not to transport the patient to an impossible state of happiness, but to help him acquire steadfastness and philosophic patience in the face of suffering. Life demands for its completion and fulfillment a balance between joy and sorrow."

·
Banned
2,397 Posts
Well i thought i had oral cancer once and as a result I visited an oral cancer site compulsively. It turned out I didn't have oral cancer and I've never been back to that site again

·
Banned
5,857 Posts
actually im kind of a success story sort of... my anxiety was pretty bad and as a result i couldnt work, couldnt go to school, had no friends, no girlfriend, had no car, couldnt drive... and in the past year i changed all those things except the girlfriend one.... actually i even managed to get two jobs... on of which pay 14$ an hr which is really good for my age

·
Registered
955 Posts
feel like im getting better. Today at work it was almost like the pre SA days. Talked more, made jokes, wasnt trying to avoid anyone and started most conversations. Lately my sleep habits have been alot better as well. See if it keeps up.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts