Social Anxiety Support Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3,148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a bad habit of saying "um" before giving a response to somebody's question. It seems to happen most often in public.

For example, I can go to the store and buy something and they'll ask me "Do you want the receipt with you or in the bag?" It's such a basic question but I'll still answer with "um in the bag."

·
herp derp
2,347 Posts
I do this as well.
I also say "like" alot, "um..like, if you do this then like,..."
I think it's because I speak fast so by saying "breaking words", it gives me a bit of extra time to think and compose my sentences.

·
herp derp
2,347 Posts
I always assumed saying "um" was normal. If I ask someone a question, I'd expect them to first say something along the lines of "um" "hmm" "uh". I do it a lot myself, but I've never seen it as a problem.
Actually, ditto this - I've never really seen it as an issue except maybe when I'm nervous, I will "um" and "like" quite a bit more than the average nervous person.

·
SAS Member
31,286 Posts
You ever watch Judge Judy? When she's mad and asks a question, if the person says "Umm.." she'll say "Umm is not an answer." lol.

·
Registered
1,094 Posts
I used to have this problem as well. I think one thing that helped is replacing "um" with a pause, giving myself an opportunity to think about what I'm going to say (while perhaps also creating some suspense haha, as if what I'm saying is that interesting).

·
In my shiny bubble
2,428 Posts
I say uhm sometimes

·
Little Winged One
6,445 Posts
If I'm talking at length I find myself saying"you know" a LOT! Now that I've become aware of it I try really hard not to do that. It's so annoying!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts