Social Anxiety Support Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
I normally use some melatonin when I feel like that... maybe if you try to read? I dunno how much help that is, but I definitely know how you feel.

·
Registered
761 Posts
Counting forward sometimes helps for me... also if I make the CHOICE to stop thinking. It could help. :( Good luck.

·
Registered
2,673 Posts
Tell me about it! Since being made unemployed my sleep patterns have become terrible. I think it's a mix of worrying about being unemployed and not getting tired during the day.

·
Registered
336 Posts
I distract myself with reading or trying to fall asleep with the TV on. In theory you should have a good diet, avoid alcohol, avoid caffeine, exercise (but not too late at night :b) and do relaxation. I got a book on sleeping by Paul McKenna, it does have some exercises e.g. visualisations and writing problems down. Sticking to regular times is supposed to help e.g. get up earlier than normal every day for a week and go to bed when tired, and don't doze in the day. You could just pick a time if unemployed.
I found distraction the best thing as lost willpower to stick with the book.
A therapist I saw recently suggested taking 1 or 2 paracetamol an hour before bed, but on reading up it has no sedative effect and may be more of a placebo effect or just reduces aches and pains keeping you awake! It did help but probably placebo effect.

·
Hiding in my basement
347 Posts
I tried exercise, this and that, nothing worked except sleeping pills. I take tylenol simply sleep. I never like to recommend pills for anything, for health reasons, but these do work if you really need some sleep.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Lying on your back and reading a novel ...you're eyelashes slant in that position....eventually they give up!!! Works for me everytime..I sleep like a baby post haste!!!

·
HaloOfDarkness
608 Posts
You are anxious. You have to take deep breaths, get really comfortable, stop thinking about tomorrow (even though it's really hard) it's the only way to get to sleep. You need to create a happy place and think only of that happy place, don't let tomorrow in even though it really wants in, don't let it in. You'll fall asleep and probably wake up five minutes later thinking that your falling but really your just tired.

·
Registered
460 Posts
Yeah, when my mind is going crazy I channel the sound of music and think of my favorite things. I know that sounds cheesy but I love some things so much that they can keep my attention. Like shiny keys for a baby. LOL

Just thinking about:
Trees (I love trees, strange I know)
Waterfalls
Streams
A certain person
Nature in general

Also, certain ideas/words/feelings I like, like:
Harmony
Tranquility
Serendipity

Also my favorite colors:
Deep dark red
Sunshiny yellow
Sunset oranges, reds, and yellows (sunsets themselves)

I can zone out going from word to word, idea to idea. And it feels good.

Good Luck

1 - 11 of 11 Posts