Social Anxiety Support Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
604 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I recently got a new job as an aide for directors and program managers. People with authority really scare me but I've tried really hard to be personable and make small talk/pull off jokes. Well my boss today asked me to come to a picnic with the rest of the directors today. It's a barbeque and people will be playing volleyball. My boss said she wants me to "network" and I hate networking. I can't stop thinking about it. The other aid I work with is around my age and we've become good friends. She might go too but she's just so talkative, fun, and preppy so she would have no trouble going off and finding other friends.

Any of you guys attend stupid work parties or anything? You have any tips for me? I'm freaking the hell out! I'm thinking about backing out but it'll make me look bad.

·
Buried at Sea
5,104 Posts
Just hearing the word "networking" makes my skin crawl. But it can't crawl faster than I can run away! I hate, hate, hate "networking." Hate it.

Sorry. I don't have any suggestions. But I feel your pain. If your comfortable tell your friend you're really nervous about going. She if she can rescue you if you look lost. It's worked for me in the past.

·
Banned
1,198 Posts
new member here first time poster.....thought i would give my opinion. i would say go for it...you don't seem to sound like you have advance SA. plus i don't think your boss will be checking on you "networking". just go an be yourself. also, that type of job carries things like that. won't be the last time.

now if it was me i would sh!t in my pants if i went because i have advance SA. :eek:

-joe-

·
Registered
604 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the advice guys! I ended up going and to say the least it was a nightmare!! Just pure and utter torture.
First of all, my boss decided to drive me to the location which was mortifying. I was scrambling to find the right things to say but of course my mind went blank so the car ride was super awkward. Luckily she put the radio on.

Once we got there I had to make myself look good by helping to set the tables and stuff but while everyone else was laughing and joking around.. I was barely talking. The other intern I work with took some of the pressure off of me. Things were ok until everyone came. Then everyone went into their little clicks and I was left alone with the other intern who’s really nice but she’s extroverted so she got pretty bored of me. Anyway we got our food and headed toward the only table that was left… the bosses table. I had to sit there and make awkward small talk but everything I said sounded cold but I couldn’t help it because I was having a nervous breakdown. Soon everyone left to “mingle” but I know that they were escaping me and my bad vibes. Soon after other people sat down but I couldn’t even open my mouth and they thought I was the biggest weirdo. Not long after my intern friend ditched me to talk with a hot co-worker of ours and I was left by myself all nervous and shaky. She eventually came back and I was relieved because she takes the attention away from me. Not long after people started to disperse and finally I was dropped off.

Most of all I hated the fact that my bosses had to see my S.A. flair up to such an extreme level. At work I can hide it pretty well and come off friendly. I can tell it changed the way they view me because the next day everyone started treating me differently as if they were walking on egg-shells. I just feel like my cover was blown and things won’t be the same at work since they say the true me. I think they’ve ridden me off somewhat and won’t try to talk to me anymore. The other intern benefited from my falter.

·
Banned
1,198 Posts
they will eventually forget about it. don't freak out about it now that they know they won't give you a hard time. you can't hide it forever, trust me, i know. at work when they fisrt tried to celebrate my b-day with a cake and everything ( i ddnt know they where going to do that) i freaked out and pretended to be sick and told my boss if i could go home because i had explosive diarrhea. for the next b-days, i told my boss that just a b-day card would be fine.

the best thing to do is do your job well. i do a very good job at work that i could be late and the boss won't tell me anything.

you need to relax it's not the end of the world. i suggest to go grab a book and read it right now to make you get your head of that so you can relax IMO.

·
Buried at Sea
5,104 Posts
I'm sorry things didn't go well for you. Sounds like it was a rough night.

And I'm sure people weren't leaving the table to get away from you, even though it may have felt like it at the time.

:hug

Also, "mingle" is another word that makes me die a little inside.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts