Social Anxiety Support Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Social Virgin
235 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Background:

So here's the deal. I'm in my 4th year at my community college and I have no idea what I want to do for a living, but what I do know is that I want to transfer as soon as possible and catch up to everyone else. (On average, most people around me transfer from a community college at 19 or 20 and finish their Bachelor's at 21 or 22 while I'm 21 and I still haven't transferred yet.)

I half-***ed choosing my major and I picked Computer Science because it's a STEM field (job security and good pay) and it seemed to be the most practical out of all the STEM fields for me. I applied to a couple of universities last November and the thing is, I have a 4.0 GPA but I'm missing a bunch of courses (ranging from 3 to 6) for my major.

Dilemma:

I have no idea what my chances are of getting into one of those universities (they're all UCs), especially since Computer Science is an impacted major. I signed up for 4 STEM classes this current Spring semester and after a month into the semester, it became clear that the workload (and depression and SA) was too much for me. I spent a month and a half sacrificing study time for 3 of my STEM classes to focus on Linear Algebra.

I failed my first exam for Linear Algebra and got 43%, which made me extremely unlikely to get an A in the class. I decided to drop the class because of the huge amount of work. But the problem was, I wasted so much time doing homework and stuff for that class. I was behind in all my other classes. So, I've been in catch-up mode for most of the semester.

Then I got an F on my Physics exam and each exam in that class is worth a chunk of my grade. It should've been an easy class but I barely had any time to study. I'd need to get a perfect score on everything from now on in order to get an 88% in the class and hope that my professor would curve my grade.

Then for my Computer Science class (which is second-level because they let people skip the intro class), the professor teaches pretty fast and talks as though you should have some experience in programming. I quickly fell behind in the class because of how my semester's been going and I've been trying to "tank" so far. But the problem is, there's a huge test on Monday (3 days away from now) and I'm still on Chapter 1.

So now, I'm just scared, disappointed, and upset at myself. I started out with 4 classes and I dropped one already but it looks like I might have to drop one or two more. I don't know how my actions are going to affect my acceptance to those universities (letters should be arriving in 2 or 3 weeks). I've been thinking a lot about whether or not I should drop and I've been getting a lot of panic attacks at night over this.

I don't know if I should tank those two classes and get Bs or Cs for them so that I can get them over with. And I don't know if I should drop those two classes to give me some time to sort myself out. Plus, for me, my grades are all I have to feel proud of in life. It would be heartbreaking to tank those classes, get rejected anyway, and ruin my GPA over courses I should've easily aced.

I don't know if I should bank on getting accepted and transferring this year or if I should just let it go and take my time and take another year to transfer. At my college, people always freak out when they find out I'm 21. It's going to be even worse when I'm 22. All this might sound silly or trivial to some people, but this stuff weighs on me a lot.

Can anyone give me advice/input, please?

·
Registered
46 Posts
Hi, just reading that post and a few of your other threads, it seems as though the stress of college, particularly in recent weeks has been hellacious.

I would put that thought on hold in trying to move on quickly into uni and just take your time to focus. There is nothing wrong w/ entering university at a much later time. You are still young, and i have just started first year at the age of 24.

The fact that you are trying to play catch up on a lot of work, it is better in my opinion to focus solely on a few subjects now and have an easier workload for the next semester. There is nothing worse than knowing you could have achieved a better grade if you just had the discipline or time. Now whether or not this may have been affected by motivation, depression, which i know can be difficult, do yourself a favour and take some of that pressure off for now.

Is there a counsellor of careers advisor you can talk to at the college? Maybe consult w/ one of your teachers?

·
Registered
199 Posts
Take a deep breath, it's ok. This is good practice for university.
I'm also a CS major and the way I get through pretty much all of my classes is by playing catch up. I let myself fall behind for one class as I catch up with another for some test and then repeat the process for another class. It's natural, you just need to plan your schedule a little better to make sure you give yourself enough time. Learn your limits! It's great that you're learning them now before you move on to university so you don't repeat the same mistake. If you think something will take a day to do, give yourself two to be on the same side.
Computer science courses aren't difficult, really, they only take up time depending on the person. Choose your professors with care too, if you sign up early you can find easy ones on ratemyprofessor.com

·
Registered
2,978 Posts
Hi. LA girl here. I went to a community college for two years and transferred to a UC. I remember in orientation, they talked about if you did not complete certain courses while in community college, you just had to take them at the UC. So you can relax. They do take people who did not complete certain classes while in a CC. If you get into a UC, great. If not, then try again next year. Yes, the majority of students are young but you will see students of different age range there. And trust me, years after you graduated, you will look back and see that stuff really did not matter. I wish I had taken more time in school, so I can work while in school. Who cares what people think. Some people are too critical anyway. You need to do what is best for you because after you graduate they won't be there, all you'll have is your education and experience. Since you are going away to college, I just want to give you a bit of advice: Make a lot of friends and keep in touch with them. They may help you get a job one day or know someone who is hiring.

·
Registered
2,978 Posts
I knew this person who went to Princeton and tried to get into a prestigious business school after graduation. She applied year after year and got rejected every time. Finally after the 7th time, she was accepted. I'm not saying this will happen to you because it's not difficult getting into a UC. I am telling you this because it's never too late and you should never give up. Also, have you considered going to a CSU? I hear it's more affordable and you can still get a great education. I would like to discourage you from taking out any loans, unless you are rich then you have nothing to worry about.

·
Registered
582 Posts
I knew this person who went to Princeton and tried to get into a prestigious business school after graduation. She applied year after year and got rejected every time. Finally after the 7th time, she was accepted. I'm not saying this will happen to you because it's not difficult getting into a UC. I am telling you this because it's never too late and you should never give up. Also, have you considered going to a CSU? I hear it's more affordable and you can still get a great education. I would like to discourage you from taking out any loans, unless you are rich then you have nothing to worry about.
Just curious, did you friend graduate from Princeton and applied to the graduate program 7 times?

OP, it's fine, what do you like to do. Don't choose a major just because you feel like it. Choose it because you'll do well and you enjoy it.

·
Registered
2,978 Posts
Just curious, did you friend graduate from Princeton and applied to the graduate program 7 times?

OP, it's fine, what do you like to do. Don't choose a major just because you feel like it. Choose it because you'll do well and you enjoy it.
She went to Princeton for her undergrad. After graduating from Princeton, she applied to some business school outside of Princeton. She got accepted after the 7th try.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts