Social Anxiety Support Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4,864 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After reading this I may have some hope... once my insurance issues are settled I think I am gonna start seeing someone. This morning this article was in my email box and it really made sense.

http://www.everydayhealth.com/blogs/livingwithanxiety/the-power-of-a-great-therapist

I've had bad experiences before, indifferent therapists and one that tried to bond my telling ME about HIS screwed up life and alcoholic wife and problems --- uhhh... I'm paying him right - hmmm... that was not kool.

So, I lost my job yesteday - had a good interview yesterday but now it is all coming to a point where in need to do more than just come on here and vent all the time... although don't get me wrong - coming here helps me immensely when it comes to not feeling alone.

I just want to stop making the same mistakes and try to improve my life instead of feeling stuck in this holding pattern that I have been in for the last 9 years.... and I have realized that finding a new guy - someone to have in my life - isn't what is gonna fix it. I need to work on me.

·
Registered
4,864 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I hate it when I am so stupid that I don't realize I have a typo IN the title of the thread - it was supposed to be I might actually GET a therapist ...... no GOT.

I hate it when I screw stuff up like that. You can edit the post but not the title of the thread so that means I look stupid forever.

·
3rd SAS Battalion
886 Posts
Work on you, that's all that can be expected of you. The world around you has its problems and will never be perfect, you can improve yourself through. If you have a good self-image then it won't matter as much what the rest of the world thinks. I hope you find a good therapist and begin to see improvement, which you surely will if you put your time into it.

Very, very, very, rarely do people ever fail if they persist. Try, try and try again and you will succeed.

In the meantime, whilst you're sorting out regularly therapy, have you tried some good self-help books? I could recommend some that can easily be bought quite cheap on Amazon. Failing all that I can send you a good audio series on CBT which many people have found to at the very least give them noticable improvement.

Getting on the right medication is also difficult and it can take several attempts at anti-depressants before you find the right one, and they take a while to kick in. However they do help some people and it's worth a try if you are in a position where you can afford it.

And you don't look stupid, I didn't notice the mistake in the title till you mentioned it, people make typing errors all the time, everyone from me to The Pope to you to Joe Blogs down the street.

·
Geese
20,769 Posts
Good luck caflme, hopefully this time around the therapy will be beneficial to you and actually help your work on your problems the correct way without shoving the blame everywhere else which never helps.

Hopefully it can help you like it has me and give you a set direction to head and exercised you can perform to aid in you overcoming your fears as well.

Good luck!!!!!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts