Social Anxiety Support Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
303 Posts
maybe if youre uncomfortable it makes them a little uneasy? some people can pick up on body language I guess

·
Banned
195 Posts
its possible that people are intimidated by the fact that you look like a supermodel
Haha. This. What I was thinking too. If that profile photo is you then you seem quite attractive. If I met you I would also be feeling a mixture of fear and anger. Fear because hot girls are kind of scary and anger because I know that you would just reject me. Probably not even be willing to talk to me. And as far as looking away it is very difficult to maintain eye contact with a pretty girl when you aren't attractive yourself. Or maybe even when you are, but I wouldn't know about that.

·
Registered
78 Posts
When i talk to people they can't look me in my eyes. They always look away wen i look at them and i dont know what i am doing wrong, i dont stare at them or anything but they look so uncomfortable. Sometimes they even look angry or freightened or something. I dont know what im doing wrong but it is making me uncomfortable around them too. I even have this with my own family. It makes me so unhappy that people feel this way around me. And it even makes me avoid people even more, which will make me even more awkard. I never do anything anymore because of this. Does anyone have any advice for me on what to do? :(
I'm either too awkward or too crazy with people, so it's nice when u're around such people who u can be crazy with, otherwise I just get awkward, and feel uncomfortable and make others uncomfortable too. So I need to find "the middle" thingy u know
I think it would help much to be "outside" of your head. Make yourself feel and be comfortable anyway, because if you feel uncomfortable, you radiate the feeling to others... and if they still feel uncomfortable, it's none of your problem. Maybe it's not so easy, but practice on that. We all care too much about what others think and how to please them, when we should think about ourselves more.

·
Registered
557 Posts
I hate to get Freudian on you, but you may be projecting your nervousness onto others. Since you feel uncomfterable, you might feel that ypu make others uncomfterable. I do this a lot, feeling that I exude fear and nervousness so much that it seeps into others. But apparently, people dont even think that I'm scared. So, you may just be overthinking everything, which is not uncommon for us SASkateers.

·
Banned
4,523 Posts
When you look a girl in the eyes it's very easy for them to think you're hitting on them.

·
Registered
557 Posts
I think its partially overthinking, but mostly the nervousness yes. But i cant help it. I want to give a good impression but that makes me nervous and awkard. And that obviously makes them uncomfortable :(.
I fully understand the need to make a good impression. When, I'm talking to a girl I like, I try to funny (usually with success), but I always end up saying some stupid, unfunny thing im an awkward panic and I beat myself up for it for days. I guess, it's impossible to truly know if you made a good impression. But that doesn't stop me from agonizing over every single detail.
I guess the only solution is to fake it. I tend to remain stone-faced, which hides my nervousness, albeit I look angry all the time.

·
Brilliance lost
158 Posts
I get it a lot. People sometimes have this shiver when I look at them directly. Like you, I try to be alone, but it just causes more awkward situations and depression. I've had it to where people would avoid asking my opinion on something, or ignore me when I tried to speak to them. It always feels like a door is being slammed in your face. It breaks me every time.

·
SAS Member
Public Universal Enemy
43,372 Posts
I don't know, sometimes people say I seem really friendly o_O other times I'm making them feel uncomfortable, I have no idea what to do either lol. I guess try and make eye contact (but not too much eye contact) and try to relax. People feed off of other people's emotions so if you seem uncomfortable they will too, sometimes. Don't think too hard about it though, or you'll end up feeling more uncomfortable and it's not your job to regulate other people's emotions. Just try to relax for your own benefit and it should work out, hopefully.

·
Registered
143 Posts
I have this same problem. I try to casually smile and be as polite as possible so I can tell myself that I handled the encounter well. But I always feel like I am making them uncomfortable while I am speaking with them...it's bizarre. I also try not to look them in the eye for long periods of time: I will look away while I am talking then look at them in the eyes.

At the same time, it could possibly be SAD in overdrive. For example, one time in grad school I had a conversation with a classmate, we werent very close, but I felt he was uncomfortable. Upon graduating, a mutual friend told me that he had only positive things to say about me. So, sometimes the SAD makes you think they are uncomfortable when they are, in fact, just being their normal self. However, I am certain, that at other times, their face is letting you know they are uncomfortable and your intuition serves your correctly.

You just got to move forward especially if these encounters are work related. I have to deal with all sorts of intense personalities in the legal field. Again, just try to be nice and smile while conversing, while being sure to listen. Be sure to maintain eye contact to a degree your comfortable with. I mean what else can you really do when conversing with another human.

The only solution I have found is called a benzodiazepine.

·
Paranoid Freak
413 Posts
Ik heb precies hetzelfde probleem, maar bij mij heeft het gewoon te maken met laag zelfvertrouwen.

·
{Astoundingly Anxious}
1,243 Posts
You mean I'm not the only one who has this problem?

Thank the internet!!

·
Registered
866 Posts
i have the same problem, its really limited me as far as interacting with people and feeling comfortable in public, to the point I can't really talk to anyone comfortably. Now that I got a job, on top of my anxiety I'm worried about affecting people with it. I just can never seem to relax enough on my own to appear normal to other people, I always end up making people uncomfortable. Unfortunately the only thing that helps slightly are benzodiazephines like someone else said but I'm not going to be able to use those regularly on the job. I'm worried as a busser I will make customers and coworkers uncomfortable.

What makes the problem way worse is that my face gets really tense in public, which makes it really hard to smile or look personable, instead a lot of the anxiety shows in my expression. Then, when I make eye contact with people I feel like I'm giving off a bad vibe and it sort of gives me a bad feeling because i notice that they are kind of reflecting my persona of anxiety.

I guess having a job is better than being largely a recluse at home, at least in other people's eyes. I'm worried that it will just send my anxiety into over-overdrive though.

·
SAS Member
Public Universal Enemy
43,372 Posts
Ik heb precies hetzelfde probleem, maar bij mij heeft het gewoon te maken met laag zelfvertrouwen.
I have precisely 'something' problem

I got lost after that

I guess met is with, heeft is have/had/has or something and god knows what zelfvertrouwen is :p

(sorry I have to do this when I see Germanic/Romance languages I might be able to partially understand. It's a problem.)

·
Registered
152 Posts
If that is your profile pic, I would definitely feel intimidated/shy/nervous as with any other female i would encounter regardless of how they look.

Maybe guys are uncomfortable when talking to you because they feel they're out of your league. I would feel the same way because you look beautiful and i'm ugly. lol

·
Paranoid Freak
413 Posts
Ik heb dat ook jaa.
:(
Jij bent nog lekker jong, 1 ding waar ik spijt van heb is dat ik rond jouw leeftijd was, niet een sociale activiteit heb gedaan, bijvoorbeeld lid zijn van een sportclub, muziekvereniging of een vechtsport. Mijn advies is, vind een hobby waarbij je in teamverband veel met leeftijdsgenoten doorbrengt, zo werk je langzaam aan je zelfvertrouwen.

·
Registered
424 Posts
its possible that people are intimidated by the fact that you look like a supermodel
Not to mention that she's in high school. At that age I'd be so intimidated by a pretty girl there is no way I'd be able to carry on a conversation.

Just be nice and friendly to people. If it's uncomfortable then it's uncomfortable. Sometimes in life it's going to be uncomfortable.

Be compassionate with yourself. If you're being friendly and nice and people are still uncomfortable then there isn't much more you can do.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts