Social Anxiety Support Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
(/・・)ノ 
1,840 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It's pretty easy and the people are nice. I've never had a job where I consider my co-workers to be family. It took me about a month to open up to them, but I don't feel miserable knowing I have to go into work anymore.

The job is fishmongering at a grocery store. It actually really helps that I have to speak to customers all the time... when I'm in an especially good mood, I can tell I've brightened their day. I don't know how to cook at all though, and everyone asks me how to prepare the fish. It's been fun learning all the different fish and telling people how ugly monkfish are.

The problem is that it pays horribly and I can only get 25 hours a week. I'm living with relatives and I need to make enough money to get out of their hair (even though they are really nice and say I can stay as long as I want)

My freelance work is very hit and miss. It needs to be my primary income, but I don't know how to make that happen.

And my social life is null.. that's a can of worms I've given up on. It's easier to focus on work and making money. When the frustration gets especially bad, I work out. I'm powerless here, always have been.

Anyway I'm talking to myself and don't feel comfortable venting anywhere but SAS. No one else online or in my life is appropriate to hear my real struggles. I complain about SAS being a hole of negativity and nothing else but it's the perfect place to dump my frustrations every couple months.

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
When I was working, it helped me out a lot as well. I was forced to talk to people all day, and eventually I started going into work not feeling nervous at all! Too bad I had to quit because of school.

·
(/・・)ノ 
1,840 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
When I was working, it helped me out a lot as well. I was forced to talk to people all day, and eventually I started going into work not feeling nervous at all! Too bad I had to quit because of school.
Did it carry over and help you socialize in school more?

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
Did it carry over and help you socialize in school more?
Yep, it actually made me want to talk to people more. It's hard to explain, but have you ever had one of those moments where you just have to start a conversation with someone? That happens a lot to me now, it's kind of weird.

·
(/・・)ノ 
1,840 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yep, it actually made me want to talk to people more. It's hard to explain, but have you ever had one of those moments where you just have to start a conversation with someone? That happens a lot to me now, it's kind of weird.
I'm not sure, but it's easier for me to find threads of conversation now. I used to say that I hate smalltalk, but now I realize it's a necessary jumping board to more interesting things.

It was all nervousness this whole time. We all told ourselves we can't talk but it's just deep-seated anxiety.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts