Social Anxiety Support Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
358 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited by Moderator)
I’m so used to lying about my personal life, who I am, what I’m doing etc that I also lie about random things too. Like if a cashier asks if I want a bag and I do, I’ll say no.

I wish I could just be honest but it’s hard because the truth about me is pathetic.

[Staff Edit]

·
Registered
471 Posts
Some of the lies I have told in the past to cover up my anxiety make me sick.

You are not alone.

[Staff Edit]

Perhaps start small - I know it shouldn't but the example you gave made me smile - image of someone struggling trying to carry too much shopping (I have declined bags before when I shouldnt have - your shopping pays the price, especially if its breakable!).

·
Super Moderator
34,310 Posts
Thread temporarily closed for editing. Posts will be edited for the following reasons....

Who has it Worse
This site is not a competition - it's not about whose particular brand of suffering is the worse, who suffers more than whom, or who has the right to call their problems Social Anxiety. This includes comparisons of suffering between the genders. The belittlement of others' suffering will not be tolerated.

Bigotry
Any content which is deemed by the staff to contain racial, sexual, religious, or any other kind of bigotry will be locked, edited or removed. This includes excessive gender stereotyping and inciting or engaging in gender "wars."

Thread Reopened. Do not continue the gender comparisons and arguing.

·
burned by tea 🍵
🧃🧃🧃
120 Posts
Like if a cashier asks if I want a bag and I do, I’ll say no.
Wow, you're lying to your own disadvantage. Which, honestly (no pun intended), defeats the purpose of doing it. You've probably done it so much it's ingrained.

All I could recommend is taking a moment to think about what you're going to say, especially when answering questions. It's healthy to do it regardless in conversation so it won't raise any suspicions, while untangling your habit of conjuring up/blurting out possibly obvious lies.

I can't remember where I heard this, but the biggest advantage of telling the truth over lying is that you don't have to remember what you said. In the event you're asked about it later, that comes in handy.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts