Social Anxiety Support Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So what do I with this knowledge? If I tell myself "don't think of the anxiety!" I'm going to think of the anxiety. I have to somehow create circumstances in my mind where I don't think of my anxiety. If I try to distract myself, I'll know I'm trying to distract myself and think of my anxiety.

·
Registered
1,197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Something else: I've been trying for literally years to find ways to "fix" my anxiety. I have obsessed over finding the one magic method, and it has eluded me. Perhaps it's time to stop searching?
But the funny thing is is that not looking for a method is a method. So not doing anything about it is doing something about it. But I suppose I shouldn't let myself get wrapped up in that sort of thinking. Because if I don't want to do anything about it and not doing something about it is doing something about it, then there is absolutely no way to not do anything about it. It's just semantics, I guess?

·
Registered
589 Posts
Anxiety is self-fulfilling prophecy in most cases.

You need to change your neurological pathways. So many things trigger your anxiety and thinking of anxiety is one thing that does it.

The world is a diverse place filled with grey areas. If you go into the world looking for something, you'll probably find it. That's how people get stuck in their delusions for so long, sometimes even to the end of their life. Grey areas are interpretted in favor of whatever someone's hypothesis is.

We are prisoners of our own minds. Anxiety is between the ears. It's hard to rewire our brains but it is possible.

·
♎ Mackinac Island Fanatic
28,958 Posts
Something else: I've been trying for literally years to find ways to "fix" my anxiety. I have obsessed over finding the one magic method, and it has eluded me. Perhaps it's time to stop searching?
But the funny thing is is that not looking for a method is a method. So not doing anything about it is doing something about it. But I suppose I shouldn't let myself get wrapped up in that sort of thinking. Because if I don't want to do anything about it and not doing something about it is doing something about it, then there is absolutely no way to not do anything about it. It's just semantics, I guess?
YOU'RE OVERTHINKING IT.

Do you have any hobbies, interests, or pastimes you enjoy? Something to engage your mind. Not merely to distract you, but also because you enjoy doing it. So there!--it doesn't have to be ENTIRELY about defeating anxiety. You'll be doing something because it's fun, and you like it.

"Screw you, anxiety. I'm not even focusing on defeating you right now, I'm just having fun. I'll deal with you later. You got a problem with that, tough." :b

You really, really have to stop the kind of thinking in your post above. I know...I have no idea HOW you stop thinking like that. If I knew the way I'd tell you, but I don't know that I've ever seen someone who argues themselves in circles quite as much as you. :eek

(I mean no offense by any of this. Just like I said before, seeing you do these mental somersaults is agonizing, and obviously isn't helping you. :( I literally think you're going to drive yourself crazy.)

I just thought of something I think I read somewhere before...is there any way you could "schedule" certain times at which to immerse yourself in anxiety-producing thoughts, and schedule certain other times to find other stuff to do? "All right...I'm going to think about nothing but my anxiety and agonize over it from 8-9PM! At 9PM, I'm going to read a book/eat some ice cream/go for a walk/whatever." I think maybe this was an OCD exercise. Just a thought? :stu

·
Registered
1,197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
@tehuti88

Yes, I think that was an OCD exercise. I do have hobbies. I mean, I'll read a lot. But the thing is I'll be reading and then stop reading to try to "figure my anxiety out." Then I'll go back to reading my book again. Maybe I should try that, put off trying to "figure it out" until a certain time or something. But even being on these forums I'm "trying to figure it out," aren't I?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts