Social Anxiety Support Forum banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
You guys have probably heard this, or some correlation of it before. I never gave it any merit because I was never strong enough to follow through. At some point the pain is unbearable and you do things that other people would think of as non-rational.

I have gone 11 days now without eating. A 11 day water fast.

I feel the best I have ever felt in my life. My social anxiety is at least 70% better. I still have feelings of anger, resentment, and some depression... but the fact is, I can go out in public, and be totally in control of my body and my actions for what feels like the first time.

About 4-5 days into fasting, your body accepts that it's in repair mode and your digestive system slows down. The hunger goes away. I haven't felt hungry in a week now. It's a feasible solution to people who need to be at there best in a weeks time.

The problem now is, how long can/should I continue this? I'm physically shrinking, losing muscle mass. Loss 6 pounds in 11 days. I'm 5'10 140 pounds prior, I didn't need to lose any more weight. I'm really at a brick wall here. Do I dive into some eggs and bacon for breakfast, and then risk all of my anxiety symptoms flooding back by lunch time?

What do you guys think?

·
Registered
315 Posts
Omg, I think you need to start eating. You know why you stop feeling anxious? Because your brain stop being aware of the surroundings because of the lack of nutrients! In short it's not working properly! That's why your negative feelings are still there. You're losing muscle mass because your body has no nutrients to breakdown so it breakdowns the available nutrients which is YOU!

To have a healthy mind you need to first have a healthy lifestyle. Start eating. And I don't mean junk food. Eat healthy food like vegetables, fruits, grains, meat.

·
Banned
2,375 Posts
Just start slowly and take your time. Let your metabolism recalibrate so things are alright.

·
いつも一人で..
362 Posts
I think what he's feeling can attributed to maslow's hierarchy of needs
essentiallyall people have needs but we only need these things if we have the element before them... for examply we have biological needs before social needs in the pyramid of needs. Since your body is technically starving, it can't be bothered with petty social constructs like self consciousness. This is why I always thought that people in poor societies may possibly suffer social problems less than others.

·
いつも一人で..
362 Posts
I think what he's feeling can attributed to maslow's hierarchy of needs
essentiallyall people have needs but we only need these things if we have the element before them... for examply we have biological needs before social needs in the pyramid of needs. Since your body is technically starving, it can't be bothered with petty social constructs like self consciousness. This is why I always thought that people in poor societies may possibly suffer social problems less than others.
Link was wrong

·
Registered
57 Posts
Listen, I'm not trying to sound judgmental. Plenty of people in the world believe in annual fasting diets to cleanse the body or detoxify the system. However, what you are describing is a form of control that borders on OCD. Social anxiety is a mental state of being and the physical symptoms you feel stem from your mind, not your digestive system.

I recommend you see a therapist and certainly inform your doctor as to the kind of regimen you're involving yourself in.

·
Banned
1,537 Posts
Yes. It's too high. Going eleven days without eating to control your anxiety is dangerous, and will probably end up getting me dxed with an eating disorder. And believe me, that is. It doesn't have to be about loosing weight, it can just be about control.

·
Registered
10,831 Posts
Alright, I'll eat today. Interested to see how ****ty I feel afterwards.
It's a placebo effect. You have the power to control your anxiety. For some reason you don't believe you have this power. It's not really the diet that's helping your anxiety.

·
Bye SAS
1,774 Posts
EAT! Please eat. 11 days without eating? I do know what you mean however, after a day without eating I've noticed I feel better for some reason, but dude it's not worth it at ALL. I mean do you want to become nutrient deficient and end up in the hospital? It's best to start eating, and probably find a safer option.

·
Registered
2,810 Posts
I thought you were going to say that a sure cure for anxiety is death :) I wasn't too far off.

·
Registered
751 Posts
I fasted for 14 days didnt do anything for me
I also had 1 or 3 days fasted
So sorry but its not a cure
Good that it works for you though
I hope you know how to break a fast u can get pretty sick if you do it wrong

·
Registered
788 Posts
You know why this seems to work? Anxiety is reduced when you eat less carbohydrates. I recommend that you start eating again, but just eat a low amount of carbohydrates. If you want scientific info on this, read the book Wheat Belly by William Davis, MD.

·
Greenmail
4,205 Posts
Yes the price is too high. Theres no point of even doing it if it doesn't have long term implications.

Have you considered you could have some sort of allergic reaction to some foods? ie im asking when did the affects start to kick in. This could be a reason idk.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Don't eat too much at once. Slowly get back into it. Eat a little bit a time more frequently. Your body probably won't be able to handle a normal meal at once, as it had in the past.

·
Registered
1,294 Posts
Hey OP why don't you try Intermittent Fasting? It's actually a healthy way of doing this. Please don't starve yourself. If you do IF you'll get the benefits of not eating untill dinner and then a couple more hours for whatever reason it seems to help your SA, and your body can benefit from it at the same time.

Check out this channel http://www.youtube.com/user/fastingtwins
These guys know their stuff and they're very funny too.

·
♎ Mackinac Island Fanatic
28,958 Posts
I have enough health problems, I really wouldn't want to add all the possible problems that come with starving/dehydrating myself to the list. I'm used to my anxiety, I'd rather just live with that. :um

ETA: And yeah...it doesn't really sound like a "cure," because the moment you start eating, presumably the anxiety would come back. The only way it'd be a cure is if you died. :afr

1 - 20 of 33 Posts