Social Anxiety Support Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Banned
1,933 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Tbh I don't really have SA anymore. I joined this site because of depression and slight SA, but it was mainly me being uncomfortable in social settings. Now I've worked past that and actually have a social life but the depression never goes away. Never. I think it's chemical because nothing makes me happy. A GF, friends, social life, job. I've had all those things and still maniacally depressed. It ruins my life too because I push everyone away.
Who just wants to talk? Just talk about anything. I've been stuck at home all day with this damn stomach virus puking my guts out so it's making me even more depressed.
I need a distraction, this is getting to me. I'm 18 male, pretty cool guy. I play sports, I dig video games, politics, science, movies. Anything really I just like people in general we can chat about anything. I have no one to talk to about this because I act like I'm hot **** to everyone else. Fake it till you make it right?

·
Registered
205 Posts
Faking it will get you no where fast. Try to be yourself. I could tell you 100 times that you need to get out more, join a new social circle, blah blah blah. But none of that will ever be able to make you happy. In order for a person to be happy around others, s/he must first be happy around hisself, by hisself.

What i suggest, is that you buy a note pad and write down why you feel that you are depressed, while you feel you must pretend like you are someone else and then try and get to the bottom of it. You can't do it all on your own, you'll need help from real genuine friends and family, maybe even a therapist. Try not be too alone in this, as that can make you depressed as well.
Try to be honest.woth yourself too.
Good luck!

·
Banned
1,933 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Faking it will get you no where fast. Try to be yourself. I could tell you 100 times that you need to get out more, join a new social circle, blah blah blah. But none of that will ever be able to make you happy. In order for a person to be happy around others, s/he must first be happy around hisself, by hisself.

What i suggest, is that you buy a note pad and write down why you feel that you are depressed, while you feel you must pretend like you are someone else and then try and get to the bottom of it. You can't do it all on your own, you'll need help from real genuine friends and family, maybe even a therapist. Try not be too alone in this, as that can make you depressed as well.
Try to be honest.woth yourself too.
Good luck!
I try to act like someone I'm not because I'm wildly insecure about myself and don't want to be seen as weak. If I were to tell everyone about how I feel I'd be seen as crazy. I tried before and everyone just dismisses it. Even my parents. Even my girlfriends. The people that are supposed to be there and listen to you, just don't listen to me. I guess you're right I don't like myself but I have no clue how to start liking myself. Thanks a lot though :)

·
Registered
205 Posts
I try to act like someone I'm not because I'm wildly insecure about myself and don't want to be seen as weak. If I were to tell everyone about how I feel I'd be seen as crazy. I tried before and everyone just dismisses it. Even my parents. Even my girlfriends. The people that are supposed to be there and listen to you, just don't listen to me. I guess you're right I don't like myself but I have no clue how to start liking myself. Thanks a lot though :)
If you feel you cannot be true self around the one you know, then you can always start again. Your insecurities will not leave just because you put on a new face. It is still a mask, and no matter how long we wear the mask, we'll always eventually have to take it off. But leaving it on for too long will hurt as you have grown acustomed to it's weight.

If your parents will not except what you have to say, then get them to sit down. Tell them exactly what is bothering you, softly demand their help and advice, if they feel they cannot help, then don't be afraid to ask for a trained professional's opinion, like the therapist.
Sit down with your friends in your room, where its nice and familiar and do the same. Preferably invite them over, seriously there is nothing worse than stopping a goodevening's chatter with problem news. Make it clear before hand that you are serious.

Good luck.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts