Social Anxiety Support Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've had this problem where I'm convinced people are mocking me with a British accent even though I'm from America born and raised. I've been through situations where I honestly felt I was convinced people were mocking me with that accent because it was so random why they did it ANd I had this gut feeling that it was directed towards me it just felt so obvious. One situation this girl talked to me in that accent but when she spoke to others it was in her anerican accent and it was so obvious that she exaggerated this accent towards me.

I don't realize I'm doing this and it has me worried to speak up it's become part of my anxiety on too of my social anxiety I'm afraid I'm gonna speak with this false accent. Everytime I hear this accent on tv I cringe. I've talked to a therapist about this and he told me he highly doubts I'm talking like this because it's just not common but he did say it might be happening but he doubts it.

I have to very close freinds that I consider family and I've felt that they have made fun of me by mocking ms in this accent. I've confronted then more than once and they told me in a frustrated manor saying your not doing this and that if I was they wouldn't hesitate to let me know.. Now this sounds like it's all in my head but I feel like my freinds ate making fun of me but not owning up to to it I even told them it wouldnt hurt my feelings bug they still won't admit to it.. Now I know this doings like this is alll in my head but can you at least admit that this could be happening ? That I may be telling like this hear and there without even realizing it? Could it be possible my freinds aren't owning up to making fun of me by mocking me? They day they would but I honestly feel like they wouldn't.

I know I've been mocked by people because that London accent pops up and I'm not dumb I can sense when someone is making gun of me.. My freind had an honest talk with me saying I'm not doing this and that I'm a little messes up on the head but I just don't believe him.

The only reason this bugs me is because how am I suppose to continue my life at23 years old scared that I might speak this way to everyone I meet especially as I get older? What do you think could be goin on and what do you think I should do?? This keeps me from speaking up.

·
MEAT POPSICLE
857 Posts
Well is it really that bad to pick up and speak with an accent? I for some reason sometimes pick up and sound southern, people have even asked me which part of the south I am from, I just :) (smile) and say Arkansas, cause my dad was from there. And they just nod, or say of cool did you like it there??? and I say it wasnt bad......... so roll with it. And IF people ask you where in the UK your from pick a town in England and say I am from.......... thank you for asking. I found that once I told people that my accent tends to come up less and less cause I am not always worrying about it anymore.
So I hope I helped you alittle :)

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I don't realize im even doing this and if someone asks me where I'm from I would say from here and not lie because I don't believe in being fake and I really hope that's not the impression people get from me.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts