Social Anxiety Support Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
521 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was in Kohls getting a gift card for my grandmother, and the cashier ringing me up was new and being taught by the manager.

The manager told the cashier to review the terms of the gift card with me (as a test?). Anyway, the manager took over where the cashier got confused and it went something like...

Manager: ... so if the card is lost or stolen, there is nothing we can do. Whose ever hands it falls into is then the owner of the card. But let's hope that doesn't happen.

Me: If so, Merry Christmas to them! (sarcastically)

Manager: Haha, that's exactly it.

Cashier: mwahaha

I felt good walking out that I made both of them laugh/smile at what I said. Normally I would have gone, "OK," but for some reason I didn't this time.

·
Registered
521 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Not evilly, but she did start of with an "mmm" sound at the beginning of it.

But I would like it better if she did laugh evilly.

1,934 Posts
I'm a cashier and I can tell you I hate when customers do this.

If I'm having a conversation with someone, being a customer at a store doesn't give someone the right to butt into my conversation.

I am pretty icy to customers who do this, but that person wasn't I guess. Hmm. To each their own.

I generally dislike speaking to customers, well, being in their presence at all in pretty annoying, let alone them talking to me.

·
Registered
1,314 Posts

If I'm having a conversation with someone, being a customer at a store doesn't give someone the right to butt into my conversation.

I am pretty icy to customers who do this, but that person wasn't I guess. Hmm. To each their own.

I generally dislike speaking to customers, well, being in their presence at all in pretty annoying, let alone them talking to me.
doesn't sound like being a cashier is the right job for you.

1,934 Posts
That's what they all say, lol.

Unfortunately, all the freelance online writing jobs are taken.

·
Registered
1,314 Posts
That's what they all say, lol.

Unfortunately, all the freelance online writing jobs are taken.
I don't know how you can handle a job like that. Cashier is one of the jobs I get anxious just thinking about. I think I would go crazy if I had a long line of customers waiting to check-out.

1,934 Posts
It may sound weird..BUT...the reason I like the job is because I don't have to make conversation. That sounds crazy but honestly...all I say is "Hi, how are you? Your total is blah. Have a nice day."

I literally do that all day long. Very very rarely do I actually converse with people in any real way. It is actually a great way to avoid conversation when done right.

Do I like having them in my face all day? **** no. But basically I just switch off and robotically scan things.

One problem is that sometimes I think things that I shouldn't say out loud and I get afraid that instead of saying "have a nice day" I'll say "I want sex" or something. lol. Because I'm thinking of anything other than what I'm doing.

·
MEAT POPSICLE
857 Posts
Good Job

:clap That is awesome! Getting a cashier to smile or even laugh is a miracle,lol I know, I used to be one. So WTG and next time make them laugh til they pee, lmao. :haha

I was in Kohls getting a gift card for my grandmother, and the cashier ringing me up was new and being taught by the manager.

The manager told the cashier to review the terms of the gift card with me (as a test?). Anyway, the manager took over where the cashier got confused and it went something like...

Manager: ... so if the card is lost or stolen, there is nothing we can do. Whose ever hands it falls into is then the owner of the card. But let's hope that doesn't happen.

Me: If so, Merry Christmas to them! (sarcastically)

Manager: Haha, that's exactly it.

Cashier: mwahaha

I felt good walking out that I made both of them laugh/smile at what I said. Normally I would have gone, "OK," but for some reason I didn't this time.

·
Banned
699 Posts
Aw, that's cool! I like it when I have a good interaction at the store. It leaves me feeling very positive. ^^

·
Registered
521 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

I didn't butt-in. I was being spoken to by the cashier at first, and then the manager. Both of whom were going over the gift card terms for the benefit of the cashier-in-training more than myself. :)

The last thing I want to do is stick my nose into a conversation I wasn't originally a part of. ;)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts