Social Anxiety Support Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Banned
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
what is there to hate about it?

linux mint comes in socond place in distro watch (due to ubuntu being popular) but not even it could work in my laptop (2010 laptop)... ubuntu works great in my lap top to be honest, better than linux mint (second best in distro watch) like i said. hell, linux mint 11 cannot dim my laptop monitor while ubuntu 11.10 can lol... ubuntu is ahead i have to admit. tha's why i have it installed.

·
Banned
12,147 Posts
what is there to hate about it?
Last time I tried it, scrolling (with the mouse wheel) was PAINFULLY sllllllllloooooowwww. As near as I could tell, there was no way to speed it up to an acceptable level. One of the versions (KDE, maybe?) had an adjustment for it but the fastest setting was still slow. It's been that way as long as I can remember.

I don't like the way you have to go into that panel to fix things. I'm not a programmer. I just want something that works. Mint and Ubuntu are pretty good and they have gotten most of the major things out of the way but still. It's definitely not Windows and if (when) you run into a major problem with any Linux distro, you could be SOL if you're not the geeky sort who can figure all that stuff out.

Basically, what I really don't like about it is that I came into Windows in 1999 or so and have spent all this time getting really accustomed to the way Windows does things (and generally, no major problems will pop up) and suddenly, you try Linux and you're on another planet.

·
(.*?)
6,794 Posts
Your luck with hardware is just luck though, memoriez. Last I tried, Ubuntu wouldn't even load gnome on my desktop, even though its close relative Kubuntu works well (I use kubuntu on my desktop and mepis on my netbook at the moment -- mepis has always had the widest hardware compatibility for me, but it is a bit out of date).

I do wish there were better price-competitive pre-installed linux options for sale so I wouldn't have to worry about getting incompatible hardware. Takes far too much research, and then still something's always got a proprietary kludge driver that can break on kernel updates or be too complicated make work in the first place. And when it comes to finding an affordable printer that'll work, good luck -- I have to keep an XP partition just to print, though luckily I only print a few times a year.

I've been using Linux since '99, and almost exclusively since '04, and the depressing thing is that the driver situation feels like it's getting worse.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts