Social Anxiety Support Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
3,428 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm not great at motivating myself, but I'm beginning to have breathing issues from being overweight. My body absolutely hates this weight. I'm 5'4" and weigh 174 lbs. It's 4 lbs from my heaviest weight ever. I can't gain anymore weight, I just can't. I'm actually afraid of having a heart attack. It's how crappy, I'm feeling.

What kind of incentive can I give myself? Life? How do I keep myself motivated?

·
Registered
2,122 Posts
I'm not great at motivating myself, but I'm beginning to have breathing issues from being overweight. My body absolutely hates this weight. I'm 5'4" and weigh 174 lbs. It's 4 lbs from my heaviest weight ever. I can't gain anymore weight, I just can't. I'm actually afraid of having a heart attack. It's how crappy, I'm feeling.

What kind of incentive can I give myself? Life? How do I keep myself motivated?
i have to start exercising too...
i'm already obese, my BMI is 33.2

but afraid to go and get a gym membership
do you have same fears ?

·
Banned
115 Posts
Im not really fat, its just that exercising is really good for anxiety and depression and thats why I have started.

For me, I use exercise as a drug because it helps my mood so quickly. If I am feeling really anxious I just pop a pill and exercise and by the time I am done exercising I usually have enough confidence.

I have never exercised to lose weight but the anxiety reducing effect should provide some motivation for you.

·
Registered
1,388 Posts
I cant tell you how good cardio makes you feel. right after you feel amazing, and you feel generally better throughout the day. besides that, there are so many health benefits, its redic. When it comes to motivation for exercising, I find its really a mind game you have to play with yourself. Music motivates me at thoes crucial times when i want to stop. If i think too much about being done or what im doing tomorrow, i get unmotivated. If i think about growing huge muscles, I get unmotivated. Try different thoughts out. Focus on something that gets you into it, and stick to that thought. Once you get into the zone it gets better. Think of it more as a class you have to go to. Like picking up the kids. Just another chore. If you think "oh 11:00 time to get my daily ticket to happiness for the rest of my life" you will get unmotivated at the lack of immediate results and quit. Find out what thought works. Its not so bad once you get into it.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Find something you actually enjoy doing. For me it's dancing. I have a bunch of fun dancing work out dvds. I forget I'm working out. When I get bored with it I just move on to a different dvd.

·
Registered
761 Posts
For losing weight, I'd say to also change your diet if it's unhealthy. This simply means going out and buying healthy food... the less processed it is, the better. Eat out less. Eat more vegetables, fruits, nuts. Eat more RAW vegetables, fruits, etc. I've never had to lose weight, but I think focusing on healthy foods is the way to go, along with the exercise.

·
Registered
230 Posts
Soda has always been the bane of my health.

When my SA was really bad and I wasn't in very good shape my solution was to not buy soda in bulk. Instead I would walk to the closest convenience store (3-4 blocks from where I was living) to buy 1 bottle at a time. I consumed less soda because it was inconvenient, got the exercise of walking, and it eased a lot of the anxiety.

Ultimately it will come down to how much self discipline you have but I found it easier that way because there were a lot of upsides.

·
Registered
2,122 Posts
soda leads to obesity
coz it has High Fructose Corn Syrup in it
coca cola, pepsi, sprite, and dr pepper

it also contains aspartame, which too, is fattening people up

·
Registered
3,428 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I have only drank water for the last 3 years. I'm actually allergic to coloured pops and juices. I don't eat junk food very often. Being sedentary is the real issue.

I still have a gym membership, but no way of getting to the gym. There are no buses in my community.

I have an old stationary bike and I'm starting today.

·
Registered
1,676 Posts
I'm not a picture of health myself. I don't care very much about my looks or anything, but I have found that 20-30 minutes of cardio a day has a positive effect on anxiety and depression. It is a very powerful incentive once you realized that exercise actually is a bit like a drug... a healthy drug. I realize now that if I go too long without exercise, depression worsens.

·
Registered
154,235 Posts
For me, the Paxil fat creeps up. I went to the doctor on 4/18 due to "pre-bronchitis symptoms" and was weighed for the first time since February, 2007. I gained nine freakin' pounds! I was running 20 miles a week.

I am on a no-breakfast (except for if I am up early), watch what I eat (including salads and a little portion control), and run 24mi/week regmient. I have lost most of that weight in the last five weeks. Keep in mind, that I still have the 25 pounds I had already gained due to the Paxil. At least I am back to that now. :(.

·
Registered
2 Posts
My wife got me going on these Super Foods. (Salmon, Oats, Vegtetables..all that good crap). Funny thing is after awhile you get used to it. Combine that with walking, working out or whatever, taking vitamins and the results can be pretty impressive. My wife lost 20 lbs (she's not a big woman).I've always been genetically thin but i think it all gives you a better clarity, helps with sleep and whatever.

Cant preach to anyone but i think it's possible if you keep trucking along and find the strength to get over that mountain that sometimes seems too big to climb.

·
Registered
3,553 Posts
I need to do the same. Back when I used to work out it made me feel so good I don't know why I ever stopped. Oh yeah, I know why...because winter came and I couldn't go outside. I need to find a way to motivate myself again. Its just been so long I don't know where to start. I miss the basketball net in front of my old house.

·
Registered
619 Posts
I have a high body fat percentage (around 29%, which is down from 33% over the last few years). It's hard to lose fat though, because I'm not overweight. It took awhile to become motivated enough to exercise on a regular basis (3-6 times per week depending on how busy I am), but it becomes sort of addicting after awhile, and doesn't seem like a chore.

·
Registered
364 Posts
Today is day 3 of my plan to get in shape. So far so good. Motivation is decent enough. I need to lose 20 pounds or so. Then I plan to bulk way up. I am really good at losing weight quickly but I always screw up and get depressed or something and have to start over. Its been 4 months or so since I was in good shape. One more try.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Finally getting up is the hardest part for me. A friend of mine sometimes convinces me to go for a run with him and that's ok then but I don't have much stamina yet.

·
Diggin' My Potatoes
415 Posts
I'm 5'11" and I used to weigh around 285. I lost 100lbs of that weight over the course of about 6 months by changing my diet to include less fried food and more veggies. I didn't even really exercise, I just walked for about 30 minutes a day. You might want to lose your weight slower, or at the very least exercise more than I did as losing 100lbs in 6 months left me with some unsightly loose skin.

I need to get motivated to get into shape now that I've lost a lot of my weight, but I'm finding that hard to do. Ah well, at least I'm not obese anymore.

·
Registered
74 Posts
i'm overwieght too and recently started riding a bike. something i do is ride my bike to get chinese food...not exactly a balance but it helps to have a destination and if your gonna eat you might as well exercise on the way

·
Registered
2,122 Posts
I'm 5'11" and I used to weigh around 285. I lost 100lbs of that weight over the course of about 6 months by changing my diet to include less fried food and more veggies. I didn't even really exercise, I just walked for about 30 minutes a day. You might want to lose your weight slower, or at the very least exercise more than I did as losing 100lbs in 6 months left me with some unsightly loose skin.

I need to get motivated to get into shape now that I've lost a lot of my weight, but I'm finding that hard to do. Ah well, at least I'm not obese anymore.
Were you walking fast ?

1 - 20 of 24 Posts