Social Anxiety Support Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I cannot do this. I'm going to a new school where I don't know anybody in 10 days and I literally feel like I am going to explode from the anxiety. I don't know what to do about this.

I used to live in another state where I had a lot of friends but last year we moved. I went to another school where suddenly I started developing social anxiety. I was alone, afraid to speak, walk, breath, and especially eat. Existing felt awkward and embarassing. I wasn't able to walk, or even stand still, sit down, stand up, anything without feeling like I was about to have a panic attack. I had no friends, and started being bullied by some jerk who took great pleasure in pointing out my lack of friends and saying I was fat and lesbian.

I withdrew from that school and started being homeschooled. I didn't ever leave the house, do sports, go shopping, nothing. Leaving the house to get the mail felt like torture.

Now I'm going to a new school in a very short time and I will not be able to do it. What am I going to do?! I'll be walking, speaking, standing, breathing, existing all alone with no friends unable to speak or to clear my head or breath or do anything. And even though I'm going to counseling the only advice she can give me is to distract myself and realize everyone's immature and not to take it all seriously. Worst. Advice. Ever.

Does anybody know something that can help? A miracle cure? Something to make it so I can walk without crying and running away with severe panic attacks? I know there's not really anything like that but I need something or it's going to be a repeat of last time.

·
Registered
2,537 Posts
Ask yourself, why am I going to school? What is it that I want to really achieve by it?
Set "little" goals and try to achieve them with little steps

'School' is a big weird thing, when I went to school I didn't even have any idea why the hell am I going there, so if you would set yourself a little goal like - talking to someone and not getting a panic attack, you will suddenly feel a little more in control.
When you try to achieve the goal you were setting for yourself, try to sympathize with yourself as much as possible, be forgiving to yourself like when you talk to someone else that feels bad and you try to encourage her, failures are OK.

Try breathing a lot, breath from your nose, to the belly, try to build habits of breathing correctly, you can try and do it like 15 minutes before you sleep for example everyday.

Keep reminding to yourself good things about yourself, you can try even now, for example go to a mirror, look at yourself and say out loud "I love myself" a couple of times and you would see that it has a big effect on your mind, if you are subconsciously stuck on a "I hate myself" mentality then it's important to stop this thinking process.
Say things like "I love myself", "I accept myself as I am", "I forgive myself", "everything is okay" or say/think anything that makes you feel good, and later on, when you will be at school you could remind yourself those quotes and they will have greater effect.

Remember to try and breath a lot! Hope I helped :)

·
Gone
301 Posts
Wow I know where you're coming from. I wish there was a cure, but there just isn't. It's sad that medication will only partly make this feeling go away, and is the only thing that will help, at least for me. But I guess you have to try to endure it. Make yourself comfortable being around other people by going out more. I know that moving places is very difficult, I moved too when I was younger, and it destroyed me every time. Loss of friends, loss of trust, loneliness. But eventually things got better, at least before they got worse... still a mess... Good Luck

1 - 3 of 3 Posts