Social Anxiety Support Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Soo, for the past 3 years I've been suffering from chronic depression. I started going to a counselor about 2 months ago and in our last "session," he asked me if I would like to go see a physciatrist. I was pretty surprised, but then I thought about it and realized, hey, do I want to be depressed for the rest of my life? Maybe a physciatrist would work. So I said yes.
But now I'm nervous! What if he doesn't like me? What if he loses his patience with me and says, "UGH, I've had enough of you!"
What if he gives me anti-depressants and they kill me or cause heart disease or I get addicted? :|

·
Registered
9 Posts
Well I'd imagine it would be pretty easy to nail him with malpractice in that case. Anyway, his job is to be friendly and helpful to you. He deals with patients all day long (many like or or worse off), and is not gonna lose his cool just because somebody is extremely nervous around him. It's a safe liberating environment, think of it as a chance to make friends with a total stranger and no one will know how awkward you are while doing it.

·
Registered
690 Posts
I had most of the same fears and my psychiatrist is one of the nicest people I've ever met. Plus they won't perscribe you anything unless thats the path you want to go down. And there is really no shame in taking medication if you think you need it. You can always talk to them about side effects and other risks and get extra feed back by asking people here about certain drugs.

·
Banned
177,222 Posts
Hey FeelingScared, welcome to :sas

·
Registered
155 Posts
Just remind yourself that your psychiatrist sees lots of people every day who have all kinds of mental illnesses, and that he has probably been doing so for years. It's easy for us to be self-conscious about our depression, but psychiatrists are used to it and won't think anything of it. I had SA for years before I told anyone about it, and when I finally told my doctor about it I felt like I was making an earth-shattering announcement. But from the way my doctor reacted, I got the impression that she was used to hearing things like that so I'd gotten myself all worked up about nothing.

·
(.*?)
7,014 Posts
What if he loses his patience with me and says, "UGH, I've had enough of you!"
He makes a ton of money for every minute he keeps you there, so he's going to have an abundance of patience. Nobody ever rejects their cash machine.

What if he gives me anti-depressants and they kill me

Then you'll be dead, but your odds of being run over by a truck on the way there are probably higher.

Good luck.

·
Registered
154,228 Posts
Welcome, FeelingScared! :)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.