Social Anxiety Support Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,437 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Even simple things like getting dressed in the morning take more time than usual because I get distracted so easily by other stimuli like the computer (browsing SA, my mail or reading news).

I need to read books for uni, but it's hard to concentrate. My mind is all over the place. An old conversation or event in my life just randomly floats into my consciousness as I'm reading an article on sports psychology for an essay.

I really don't know if this is the infamous modern ADHD disorder that I keep hearing about, but it's really interfering with my studies.

Just checked out the diagnostic criteria for ADHD and according to it I am a predominantly inattentive type.

It makes sense and the majority of the signs and symptoms apply to me.

·
roarrrr
4,876 Posts
No one here could say if you have it or not. But maybe there is a chance you do & maybe some medication would help with it? I might be trying a stimulant soon but for a different reason. I have a good attention span, I'm just a horrible procrastinator.

·
Registered
1,437 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'm pretty reserved and wary when it comes to taking medication for any of my problems, such as SA or a potential ADHD diagnosis.

I would only resort to them in emergency cases or if I suffered from psychosis.

The side effects and potential withdrawal symptoms sound worse than the disorder they're supposed to treat.

There must be another way to deal with problems with one's attention span.

Maybe some sort of mental exercises or something to establish some self-discipline?

·
Registered
25 Posts
Welcome to the club! I've got ADHD-PI as well. I was diagnosed a long time ago, but it's been left untreated and it's now manifesting itself in my adulthood. I'll hopefully get some treatment soon!

I'd recommend you talk to a pdoc about it and have them shed some insight to your situation.

·
Registered
5,120 Posts

Maybe some sort of mental exercises or something to establish some self-discipline?
Practice. Set a small goal, start reading, keep redirecting your attention back to the reading when you notice you've gotten distracted, and force yourself to get through it. Work up to larger chunks of reading. It's not easy, but you can get better at it.

·
INFP
692 Posts
ADHD is a developmental disorder in your brain and I don't think there's any other way around it. Meds are the only way... You have to have a lot of a self-control to be able to keep yourself focused and on task, and people with ADHD are cursed with low self-control. Self-control/self-discipline is genetic and can't be modified, despite so many people believing otherwise... I relate completely to your post. Getting dressed, leaving for class, going to work, doing homework, etc... It is so ridiculous how hard it is for me to do these things. I've had ADHD-PI forever, but it's been so long since my last diagnosis so I have to go get ADHD testing done so I can get meds. It's really out of control. I wish I could manage it without meds too, but I've been off them for years and it's bad. The only way would be to have someone beside us keeping us on task at all times.

·
Registered
896 Posts
Even simple things like getting dressed in the morning take more time than usual because I get distracted so easily by other stimuli like the computer (browsing SA, my mail or reading news).

I need to read books for uni, but it's hard to concentrate. My mind is all over the place. An old conversation or event in my life just randomly floats into my consciousness as I'm reading an article on sports psychology for an essay.
eh, are we biologically related!?!?!? I'm doing a telecourse at the moment, and that requires you to be really self-disciplined with your work. I have until December to complete all of my tests. The telecourse started in mid-august, and I've just taken one test. I'm about 3 tests behind :-( My brain is easily distracted!

·
Still searching..
400 Posts
Go get diagnosed. I wanted to try meds for this, but I went to my doc the other day and he said I have to be diagnosed with adhd from a phd psychologist before I can get meds... hopefully I can do that soon.

·
Registered
2,095 Posts
I've never been diagnosed with ADD but I'm thinking of talking to a therapist about it. I fit a lot of the symptoms of inattentive ADD--daydreaming, trouble starting things (especially complicated, involved projects), trouble finishing things for that matter...I always did well in school though and never really had a problem taking tests or anything, so I don't know. I can't tell if it's an attention problem or lack of motivation caused by depression, or even just laziness. meh.

there are lots of natural things you can try before medication. regular cardio exercise, meditation, cutting dairy and simple carbs out of your diet, just to name a few. caffeine in moderation can be very helpful. even something as simple as listening to music (especially classical or instrumental) can keep the mind from wandering.

I was reading an article recently about how, like anything else, the more you exercise your attention span the stronger it will get. it suggested this method: focus on work for 10 minutes, then allow yourself a 5 minute break. continue this pattern until you finish your work. as this becomes easier, up it to 20 minutes of work and a 5 minute break, etc. etc.

I've read one theory that a lot of cases of "ADD" are really just the result of us having way too much electronic stimulation around us at all times...our brains have actually gotten out of the habit of focusing on one task at a time because now we're all about multitasking, checking e-mail and reading 5 different websites while we're watching TV and cooking dinner and doing whatever else. so it could just be a matter of retraining your brain a bit.

·
madly in love
2,433 Posts
i would bring it up with your therapist/psychiatrist .. a stimulant might help but one of the side effects of stimulants is anxiety .. if you take an antidepressant, you might also need the dose lowered on that.

·
Registered
1,437 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Complete disaster today.

We had a practical in a nutrition lab at my uni. Our professor began giving instruction to our group on how to properly perform the experiment.

I found myself daydreaming about random things 5 minutes into the instructions. I was clueless as to what to do when she finished lecturing. I feel like a complete and utter idiot.

I can't follow basic instructions because they go over my head. I don't understand what's going on.

The whole practical was very complicated for me and I never really got the general gist of it. I dearly hope that this incident isn't going to ruin me later into the semester.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts