Social Anxiety Support Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Member of SAS
1,868 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
a person with social anxiety ever throughout my lifetime, not once. Particularly at school. Everyone I see are normal looking people. Every person who I have heard spoken in all of my classes (called on randomly) have talked with ease and had no problem being themselves. Where the f*** are you people?

·
Registered
4 Posts
I have social anxiety and no one knows or notices. I'm quiet, but when called on somehow I can keep my act together. People with SA can appear normal but inside they're still dying.

·
Registered
2,450 Posts
a person with social anxiety ever throughout my lifetime, not once. Particularly at school. Everyone I see are normal looking people. Every person who I have heard spoken in all of my classes (called on randomly) have talked with ease and had no problem being themselves. Where the f*** are you people?
Whoa whoa:shock i feel you, but you got a little aggressive towards the end..i know what it's like to walk around & hope you find someone like yourself..but the truth is most people..who have SA, either stay reserved or hang around a group of close friends..if your an outsider, you can't tell that they have SA, & some with SA pretend they don't have it..so as to fit in with a certain group of people..& you know how the real world is..most people don't want anyone to know they have SA..cus most people don't understand or know what it is...all you can do is hope you have a stroke of luck..& just happen to bump into someone who has it..or at the very least confides in you about it.:yes & if it's that bad..maybe do more posts like you just did..you will find people with similar backgrounds..maybe PM them or add them as a friend..& if that's not enough maybe do a "Meet up Post" where you can do an SA meetup of people who live in your area. I hope this helped..it's definitely not easy..i know:yes

·
Banned
6,324 Posts
I imagine that many people try to conceal it, more or less successfully, because they're ashamed, like me.

·
Scotland Yard
2,770 Posts
According to wikipedia, 18,1 percent of the adults in America suffers from social anxiety; I figure the percentage is comparable for other countries. The thing is, whenever you talk to another person the chance they are normally confident people is much higher than 81,9 percent, for the simple reason that really shy people do not talk as often. When you reach out from the periphery you end up in the centre, not in the periphery that is in the other side. But when you look closely there are shy people everywhere; it's just that it takes a lot of effort to notice them.

·
Sane
1,334 Posts
Well, I can't speak for anyone but myself here, but I spend most of my time inside the house, sitting on my bed while playing my PS3. So if you're having a hard time finding me, that's likely the reason.

·
Banned
16,644 Posts
I'm good at hiding it until I'm one on one with someone and I have to keep a conversation going. Other than that, I do fine in groups and no one would ever notice otherwise.

·
Registered
40 Posts
I know right?! It's weird because its apparently a common thing. And even weirder for me personally since I go to an alternative school that is said to have a high percentage of kids with anxiety disorders, and I believe that, but then all the people I know are just so much more socially savvy than me, even those few who admit to having an anxiety disorder.

I guess some people hide it well or something, because there must be more out there! So weird...

·
We all deserve something.
1,786 Posts
Well it's not like we have a certain look to us, that makes us noticeable, but I do agree, the only person I know who has SA lives in my neighborhood, but I didn't even know he had SA until my mom told me about it, I guess it's not something I think about, I just assume everyone is doing well socially, and I'm the lone person who struggles to have a simple convo.

·
still looking
54 Posts
inside my house unfortunately:( I love to venture out into the unknown, but some days I simply can't, I'm paralyzed by the fear of revealing myself to even a stranger, and I feel like everyone is looking at me like wtf is he doing. SA makes life miserable

·
Registered
221 Posts
On contrary, whenever Im at school, I observe people and I feel like I see a lot with SA. Even though, some probably dont in reality.

·
Banned
4,523 Posts
In real life I try to hide my stuttering / anxiety by saying pretty much nothing. Like one to three word responses.

Better to be thought as rude or not thought of at all than to be looked at like I'm broken.

·
Chlorine and Wine
12,105 Posts
All on SAS asking where each other are at?

It's pretty funny that everyone looks normal from our perspective. I don't know if that implies a skewed perspective or if we're all just good at hiding from one another. From my perspective everyone looks like a social butterfly.

·
In 'da 707
4,382 Posts
Yeah I know what you mean. I used to see shy people, but they would ALWAYS end up coming out of their shell and at least making a few friends. No one I saw was ever as SA as me. Hope u get to meet some people with SA someday :)

·
computer says no
605 Posts
People are not educated enough to understand if they have social anxiety or not.

·
slave
4,382 Posts
I think the only person I've met in real life who was aware of my social anxiety was my former crush/co-worker. He understood, so I didn't feel judgment, thankfully. I suspect he had it too, judging from his behavior/mannerisms, though it was never confirmed.

·
Registered
10,547 Posts
Had one staff that worked in one of the group homes I deal with that definitely had severe SA. He didn't talk much and acted very nervous. He ended up getting fired after working a couple of week due to losing his drivers license for drunk driving.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts