Social Anxiety Support Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

· Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have aspergers, schizophrenia and social anxiety. I would say that aspergers is the most severe of the three, schizophrenia is next on the scale of severeness, and social anxiety is next. however, I believe that my social anxiety is what led to schizophrenia and aspergers. I originally had social anxiety, and then schizophrenia, and then finally aspergers, while still having the previous illnesses along with it. I have been healing myself of all three of these illnesses though. the way that I have been healing myself is through dietary modification, and of course just simply doing positive things. it has been 9 months now since I have been on my restricted diet, and I have noticed a dramatic improvement. I am no longer functioning at 0%; before I went on my diet*, I was under an incredible amount of stress and pain, which I believe are the causes of all mental illnesses. the cause of the stress and pain, I believe, is poor diet. I was literally being crushed by the illnesses. I could not do anything; I was literally like a walking vegetable. now, however, I am much more functional than I was before; I can now engage in intellectual studies, do some kind of physical tasks such as landscaping/outdoor work, and my public stress/anxiety is decreased. I still have a long way to go, but ever since I began my diet* 9 months ago, I have improved greatly.

*eliminate all gluten, dairy and refined sugars (includes products that contain ingredients derived from refined sugar, or anything that is processed). do not have anything processed; also, only eat foods that contain one ingredient--the food itself. eat a well balanced diet consisting of vegetables (primarily dark green leafy vegetables, and dark green non-leafy vegetables as well), fruits, dried spirulina seaweed (for protein, which is a complete protein btw), ground flaxseed, brown rice, oat bran, and drink only water (preferably purified water).

· Registered
10 Posts
Hi Jonas.

According to DSM, which is a diagnostic criterion as the following is written:

"Asperger's Disorder is defined in the Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders (DSM-IV) by six main criteria:

6. criteria are not met for another specific pervasive developmental disorder or schizophrenia. "

Is it the same doctor who made use of these diagnoses at the same time?

Paragraph 1-5 cut me off when this is not relevant on this thread.

That individuals have become the fault diagnosis is not too unusual, and apparently it is not uncommon for individuals with Asperger had just Schizophrenia and other diagnoses (at least what I read).

I am far from an expert on this, but it will be much time for reading on Wikipedia ;)

· Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
asperger's is something you are born with, it cannot become developed at some point during your life.

nutrition is always a good thing though.
let me rephrase myself; I forgot to add something important to my previous post. I actually believe that I have had these illnesses all my life--I was just able to fight them off better when I was younger, but as I got older the illnesses took hold of me one by one, and made it so that it was impossible for me fight them off and so I just had to endure them, as opposed to fighting them off and not enduring them.

· Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I have SA, avoidant personality disorder, aspergers, depression, ADD, and I am sure that I am leaving out others.
I left out others as well; I also have adhd, depression, some other kind of learning disability, bipolar, and I dont just have schizophrenia, I have every type of schizophrenia--paranoid, multiple personality, catatonic, and disorganized, although they are not nearly as bad as they used to be.

· SAS Veteran
1,842 Posts
I want to start by introducing some organic foods into my "diet". I know the MSG is not good nor all that other processed chemical. It might help my anxiety and my other physical problems like my hypothyroidism and my heart beat irregularity. I am just not willing to give up the milk. I'll get too thin and I need the calcium. If I don't get milk it's like people who miss their coffee.

Anyway It's good that you found foods that help. I think physical factors are what lead to a lot of our mental disorders.

· Registered
1,676 Posts
Interesting. I have heard about the gluten-free diet. Supposedly it is helpful for some people with asperger syndrome, who often have an allergy to gluten. I should probably try it myself.

While it's possible you have all those disorders, I think it may be more likely there is one root cause. People with asperger syndrome are more likely to develop comorbid disorders and psychotic episodes than the general population. On the other hand, negative symptoms of schizophrenia are likely to resemble symptoms of asperger. And bipolar features in combination with the others could indicate schizoaffective. I would try not to think of yourself as having multiple disorders (a daunting thought), but instead think of yourself as having an abnormal neurology which contributes to a wide array of symptoms and differences from the general population. There is a lot of overlap between the disorders.

If you stick with your diet, and are on the right medication(s), you may find symptoms of multiple disorders are relieved.

Glad you have found some relief. That takes a lot of discipline to stick to a diet like that.

· Registered
4 Posts
let me rephrase myself; I forgot to add something important to my previous post. I actually believe that I have had these illnesses all my life--I was just able to fight them off better when I was younger, but as I got older the illnesses took hold of me one by one, and made it so that it was impossible for me fight them off and so I just had to endure them, as opposed to fighting them off and not enduring them.
sounds like me but i have adult adhd, ocd and i think my anxiety and depression are not only just side effects and not separat ut are from social anxiety disorder; i realize it now and this is my first post here fyi:popcorn

· Registered
17 Posts
I have multiple mental illnesses also. I suffer from PSTD, severe anxiety disorder, bipolar disorder and ocd. I have poor eating habits because I have so much trouble going to sleep, I often find myself eating as a substitute for sleep. This leaves me without energy, I always feel like am on the verge of a panic attack and constantly irritable. How hard was this diet to adjust to?

· Banned
1,520 Posts
As seems to be the implication of this thread, I have been "diagnosed" with:

Bipolar I Disorder, Rapid Cycling Type
Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder
Generalized Anxiety Disorder
Social Anxiety Disorder
Borderline Personality Disorder
Major Depressive Disorder
Schizoaffective Disorder
Obsessive Compulsive Disorder
Chronic Insomia

Needless to say, I don't know whats real, haha.

· Dancing on my own
1,665 Posts
I have multiple disorders as well, which doctors say was caused by my premature birth and resulting left-side brain damage.

General Anxiety Disorder
ADD
PDD-NOS
Depression
High-Functioning Autism

I think that's it... :stu
I don't know how much a diet will help lessen your symptoms, honestly. It might just be purely psychological.

· Registered
3,672 Posts
I don't like it when doctors diagnose people with 5+ disorders. I feel like it can lead to people feeling labeled by the diagnoses and feeling like damaged goods. I certainly felt worse about myself when I thought I had bpd or bipolar.

As for me, I have major depressive disorder, social anxiety, and sub-threshold ocd or ocd tendencies or something.

· Registered
52 Posts
In my life I have been diagnosed with all of these:

Autism
Autistic behavior
Communication disorder
Speech disorder
Cluttering
ADD
Language processing disorder
Dyspraxia
Sensory processing disorder
Cognitive disorder NOS
And then my final diagnoses were Asperger's which explained everything and I was diagnosed with depression, anxiety and OCD.

Then in 2007 I was diagnosed with anorexia.

· madly in love
2,432 Posts
I left out others as well; I also have adhd, depression, some other kind of learning disability, bipolar, and I dont just have schizophrenia, I have every type of schizophrenia--paranoid, multiple personality, catatonic, and disorganized, although they are not nearly as bad as they used to be.
ugh .. there is no such thing as multiple personality schizophrenia.

· resident classicist
4,415 Posts
This seems like a really messed up contest you all are having here.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.