Social Anxiety Support Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1,378 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm just curious. Do ya'll use meds or not? I just started seeing a psychologist-doctor person (lol whatever he's called) for depression over the summer because it was getting really bad. I got on wellbutrin and my depression has pretty much been fixed. I always kind of thought I had social anxiety but always put it in the back of my mind and thought "whatever I'm just shy. It's just who I am I can't change it." but about a month and a half ago at my last dr. visit, he established that I have social anxiety and asked if i wanted to do something about it and I said yes and he prescribed me a drug. And I'm thinking "omg, a drug that's going to make not have social anxiety anymore? sweet." It was lexapro. It didn't do sh*t for me. It made me feel kinda high and floaty at first and that's about it. I didn't notice any damn difference in the way I interacted with people or how anxious and nervous I got in certain situations and around certain people. (And also, TMI, but it caused me to not be able to have orgasms anymore, so I just stopped taking them altogether.)

Anyway I have another appointment this week just to see how I'm doing and I don't really know where to go with this. Obviously I'm going to tell him that I didn't like lexapro and stopped taking it but I mean, what else should I do? Should I just keep trying different meds? Can any drug really do anything for social anxiety? It doesn't seem like it could be that easy.

·
Registered
55 Posts
There aren't any meds that just all of the sudden make social anxiety disappear unfortunately. Usually finding the right med combination is a trial-and-error process with SSRIs/SSNIs being the first line of attack.

How long have you been taking Lexapro? I'm pretty sure that, for those whom SSRIs are effective, it takes about 6 weeks to start working, and the anxiety progressively becomes reduced instead of just magically disappearing. I wouldn't advise giving them up without a fair run first, and I would never just stop taking meds because of withdrawl etc. Also lots of times side-effects of these meds wear off after the first 2 weeks or so.

peace.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Hey haydsmom :) Medication is a tricky one...I kind of feel like I have bounced around from one med to another for years now, just looking for the 'magical' one that will make my SA disappear...After coming full circle though, (and trying some pretty harsh meds in the process!) I am now realizing that no medication can 'cure' this...It can help to raise you to a point where you can consider attempting things socailly, and, of course, it can help with depression which zaps your energy & motivation...But, in the end, therapy, working on the thought patterns behind SA is much more valuable, if you ask me...

A little word of caution? Changing meds from one to another too often can really wreak havoc with your brain chemistry, your mental state...I learnt that the hard way, after stopping & starting too many times...Ended up in a worse state than when I began, and admitted to hospital :( I agree with you about Lexapro - I had no success on that one either - but I would suggest that maybe the next med you try, maybe give it a few weeks to settle in before you rule it out?

It is a shame that there is no miracle drug out there to just 'fix' all of us, lol...My therapist is constantly telling me if he knew of a magic cure pill, he would rush out to get it for me (jokes) ;) I hope if you explain to your psych/doc that Lexapro was no good for you, then he may be able to offer a better alternative for you...

Wishing you lots of luck! :)

1 - 3 of 3 Posts