Social Anxiety Support Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
430 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My last day at my current job will be 4/19, and my interview is the very next day! Plus, I sent out a ton of resumes, so I should have at least one more interview lined up before my last day.

:banana

Wish me luck!

·
Registered
430 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks!

·
Registered
154,235 Posts
:boogie :boogie :boogie Living in Darkness!
(I'm typing in a room that is getting dark :um).
What are the jobs you are interviewing for? Do you need and tips on the interviews?

·
Registered
430 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Embrace the darkness, millenniumman75. Ha ha.

This is for a Help Desk position through a temp agency. The money is good, more then what I'm making now, but no insurance. That's the only bad thing. I had applied a few weeks ago, and they wanted to hire me either for that position or for an overnight IBM AS/400 Operator position. Production control, starting and stopping jobs, varying term id's, things like that. Once they found out who I work for (the infamous Cox Communications), they told me they couldn't hire me because Cox was a client, and they have a no-compete agreement. But, they told me that if anything were to happen- if I were to quit or get fired, to give them a call because they were very interested.

So, I have a strong feeling that I'm going to get either that position, or another job through them. I've worked temp assignments before- some can last a year or longer and the money is usually very good, just no health benefits. That's the only catch. Normally, I would tell you that I could use some pointers for interviews. However, I took the advice of a guy I once met on a temp job. My first job in IT, actually. He told me that if I wanted to stay in tech, I may as well get used to interviews and working on resumes, because I would be loosing and applying for a lot of jobs. It turns out he was right. With all the downsizing, layoffs, and outsourcing, it's a very tough job market.

But over the years I've read and reread this excellent series of books on interviews and resumes called Knock Em Dead. I've spent hundreds of hours reading articles online that gave advice on resumes and cover letters, things like that. I've revised and perfected my resume countless times until I got it just right. All on company time! :lol

Seriously. I don't know how many hours I've been paid to do nothing more then work on my resume or read pointers on job interviews. All for the express purpose of finding a better job. I call it "problem solving", or "using the system to your advantage". I guess some people would call it not doing what you are paid to do, or even ripping off your employer. Call it what you will, it's tough to survive, and I'm not going to do all of this work on my own time. If you ask me, work is the perfect place to do a job search or work on your resume. Sometimes I wonder if my resume writing skills aren't good enough to actually charge people to help them write their own. As a type of service. I certainly never set out with that goal in mind. Just one of the dubious skills I've picked up over the years.

·
Registered
154,235 Posts
living in darkness said:
Embrace the darkness, millenniumman75. Ha ha.

So, I have a strong feeling that I'm going to get either that position, or another job through them. I've worked temp assignments before- some can last a year or longer and the money is usually very good, just no health benefits. That's the only catch. Normally, I would tell you that I could use some pointers for interviews. However, I took the advice of a guy I once met on a temp job. My first job in IT, actually. He told me that if I wanted to stay in tech, I may as well get used to interviews and working on resumes, because I would be loosing and applying for a lot of jobs. It turns out he was right. With all the downsizing, layoffs, and outsourcing, it's a very tough job market.

But over the years I've read and reread this excellent series of books on interviews and resumes called Knock Em Dead. I've spent hundreds of hours reading articles online that gave advice on resumes and cover letters, things like that. I've revised and perfected my resume countless times until I got it just right. All on company time! :lol
I had to say "Let there be light" and then flip the switch myself! :(

The IT thing - OH YEAH! Let me tell you, it is just as hard being on the other side. There are a lot of extra things we have to deal with - one of them is protecting information (export compliance). And, I was unemployed for two years due to layoff. I was also a contractor at the time.

My best advice - save your money, keep your resume up to date (adding everything you do - and I mean everything), and go for a salaried position when you can. That way, your chances of layoff decrease.

There is a bit of good news. The unemployment rate is down to 4.7% (from 5.9% at one time). There is also an issue with "productivity" which is starting to decline. Basically, we have hit a point where demand is starting to pick up the pace, while workers have had to work their hind ends off to keep at a steady level. It is beginning to become too much to handle so there will need to be more employees to handle the workload.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts