Social Anxiety Support Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Silence Is Golden
2,913 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A lot of things make me angry like losing my things and my little brother so can you please give me advice to get rid of my anger problem. P.S. Don't say therapy because I would be too embarassed to go.

·
Banned
1,634 Posts
Boxing--or buy a punching bag

Running 5 or 10 km...if you can

Sauna/swim...works for me

Listen to music that relieves your stress.(whether it be loud or soft)
Make sure you have good headphones so the quality is good

Write ANGRY letters and then throw it in the bin (the paper)

Stop and sit still for 5 minutes every day...listen to your thoughts...don't react to them, just watch them...listen to your heart beat

Use an encouraging voice when talking to yourself..."At least I'm trying" for example

enough?

·
Banned
3,285 Posts
Video games or going out for a walk is helpful.

·
Registered
136 Posts
i have an anger problem too. here's the best i can do, but i promise this helps at least somewhat.

1. identify the root cause of your anger. not "i lost something," but "i spent real money on it and now it's all for nothing" or "i have an emotional/sentimental attachment to that thing and it's important to me to have it" or "they're my ****ing car keys and i'm going to be late to work and probably get my *** chewed now."

2. admit to yourself that anger is a healthy, natural emotion, and the only reason anger has such a negative stigma is because of the poor choices people make while in such a heated moment. you're not an idiot or overly sensitive or crazy or whatever just because you're angry - people just do stupid things when they're flustered so everyone sees an angry person and expects them to act the fool.

3. know, for a fact, that the calmer you are for right now, the more quickly and effectively you'll find a solution for that problem. i'm not saying bottle up or shelve your anger completely, but just consider that point. then start working on the solution, and don't hesitate to start also thinking of ways you'll be working out your anger later.

4. deal with that anger in a healthy, safe fashion, once you've dealt with the momentary hiccup that set you off. do something that takes energy and effort and, preferably, muscle strength. i lift weights and clean my house. sounds silly, but that way i'm turning a fit of rage into bigger muscles and the cleanest dishes this side of the mississippi. you have NO idea how much easier it is to scrub a dinner plate with day-old spaghetti stains when you're mad as hell than it is when you're tired after a long day's work.

hang in there! yes, we all have our anger triggers and little daily injustices, but that just means you're not crazy. :)

·
Registered
86 Posts
i have an anger problem too. here's the best i can do, but i promise this helps at least somewhat.

1. identify the root cause of your anger. not "i lost something," but "i spent real money on it and now it's all for nothing" or "i have an emotional/sentimental attachment to that thing and it's important to me to have it" or "they're my ****ing car keys and i'm going to be late to work and probably get my *** chewed now."

2. admit to yourself that anger is a healthy, natural emotion, and the only reason anger has such a negative stigma is because of the poor choices people make while in such a heated moment. you're not an idiot or overly sensitive or crazy or whatever just because you're angry - people just do stupid things when they're flustered so everyone sees an angry person and expects them to act the fool.

3. know, for a fact, that the calmer you are for right now, the more quickly and effectively you'll find a solution for that problem. i'm not saying bottle up or shelve your anger completely, but just consider that point. then start working on the solution, and don't hesitate to start also thinking of ways you'll be working out your anger later.

4. deal with that anger in a healthy, safe fashion, once you've dealt with the momentary hiccup that set you off. do something that takes energy and effort and, preferably, muscle strength. i lift weights and clean my house. sounds silly, but that way i'm turning a fit of rage into bigger muscles and the cleanest dishes this side of the mississippi. you have NO idea how much easier it is to scrub a dinner plate with day-old spaghetti stains when you're mad as hell than it is when you're tired after a long day's work.

hang in there! yes, we all have our anger triggers and little daily injustices, but that just means you're not crazy. :)
Nice advice, thanks I think I'll try it :)

·
Reposed in awesomeness...
2,278 Posts
A lot of things make me angry like losing my things and my little brother so can you please give me advice to get rid of my anger problem. P.S. Don't say therapy because I would be too embarassed to go.
Why not therapy? CBT would be your best option IMO. Not lying on a sofa discussing your dreams. Also how old are you. If you are 14 then I wouldn't be too concerned about it. If you are 18+ then you probably do need to do something about it and CBT is the best option.

Other than that, everything that idiotboy wrote: dito. I have been through(am still going through) the same thing and that is exactly what I have learned.

·
Registered
420 Posts
Scream and punch your pillow. You need to release all that bottled up anger. Or do some deep self refection to see what the underlying cause is.

·
Banned
8,009 Posts
If you share a room and your little brother never goes away then it can get really annoying and frustrating. And if your parent's are inconsiderate then that gets me really annoyed. Try be alone for a bit if you get angry but tbh when my brother stays in its annoying since I have a habit of venting my frustrations online.

·
Registered
154,235 Posts
Exercise - run the stress out.
Also, learning to react LESS to what is happening. Everybody is different and everyone will do something that irks you - learning to react less stops the cycle. This is also true for SA.

Anger and mood swings are also part of SA and anxiety in general.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts