Social Anxiety Support Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,388 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sorta. I don't believe that you need to think of things to say beforehand in order to feel comfortable in a conversation. I'm either in the social zone or in the anxious zone. One or the other. Yes or no. If im social, I can talk. If im not, I just can't talk without sounding weird or saying weird things.

·
Registered
199 Posts
I am the same way. When I am asked to respond to a question I kind of freeze and say something I wish I hadn't said. This might be a common trait with those with SA. I believe we are all very self-conscious and are deep thinkers and really desire the words we speak to hold significant meaning. So, I just come to the conclusion that I might be a slow thinker, but given some time I can usually come up with a better solution then the so-called "normal" person would. I'm ok with that. It's a flaw but I make up for it with precise, all-encompassing solutions given some time.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I read somewhere that the brain of introverted people are structurally different that extroverted people in that we store our words in long term memory, and it just takes longer to retrieve words from that type of memory.
The book also says "Written words use different pathways in the brain, which seems to flow fluently for many introverts".
I know this is very true for me. Slow to think, so i end up saying something shallow. I'm improving though ( i hope ).
That's me (I don't think that I'm improving, though).

·
Registered
632 Posts
Ditto

I can't do chitchat. I find all my convos get serious quickly. But if it's someone I don't really click with (which is most people), and it's awkward to have serious conversation with them, then I go quiet and avoid cos I can't do chitchat.
yes,that's what the same with me.i tend to keep quiet if they're a lot of peoples i'm with.

·
Registered
5 Posts
my sister is very extraverted has a husband and a ton of friends. She and her husband talk constantly when they are together. they never stop to take a breath. when i talk to my sister she usually just leaves the room because she gets frustrated that it takes me so long to talk. i talk slow cause i am thinking of what to say. But i can write much better than she can. i can write extremely long entertaining letters to them and they wonder why i cannot talk the way i can write. but when they write to me it is always a short note. ha

·
Registered
260 Posts
I am the same way. When I am asked to respond to a question I kind of freeze and say something I wish I hadn't said. This might be a common trait with those with SA. I believe we are all very self-conscious and are deep thinkers and really desire the words we speak to hold significant meaning. So, I just come to the conclusion that I might be a slow thinker, but given some time I can usually come up with a better solution then the so-called "normal" person would. I'm ok with that. It's a flaw but I make up for it with precise, all-encompassing solutions given some time.
Wow that pretty much describes me.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts