Social Anxiety Support Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I don't post here much, but a couple of months ago I posted this thread about looking for a job. Well, after recently graduating from a community college with my Associates in Computer Science, I decided to put my resume out there.

Now, I must say that my resume is very thin and includes NO actual work experience (I left my last job 9 years ago). I just focused on the specific programming skills I acquired at school and also my personal accomplishments (i.e. programs that I've written on my own, personally acquired computer skills). Anyway, I posted the resume on a bunch of job boards (i.e. Monster, Dice, HotJobs) and applied to probably a dozen different jobs online last week.

I was focusing mainly on an internship in the field of programming, but I also applied for some entry level paying jobs. Well, I was shocked to get a voice mail today from an HR rep from a locally-based company called Advanced Financial Services (they specialize in mortgage lending) saying that she read my resume and would like to talk to me! I wasn't expecting this at all and was completely shocked.

But what shocked me the most was that I actually called her back (if you know me you know that this is almost unheard of). I guess I want to my life to change more than I realize, because I usually stick with the safest route (i.e. taking no action). Just making this call was an unbelievably big step for me, I actually can't believe I did it. Anyway, the long and the short of it is, I have a job interview Wednesday at 2pm that I am completely not ready for!

I made an appointment to see my social worker tomorrow to discuss strategy. I am debating whether or not I should reveal my disability. Aside from school from 2004-2008 (yes, 4 years to complete the 2 year program ;)), I have been doing virtually nothing for the last 9 years. Now if I don't mention the disability, this glaring hole of nothingness in my life is invariably going to come up and I'm not going to have a good reason for it.

On the other hand, if I reveal the disability (I am literally receiving disability right now BTW, and have been since 2002) that could hurt my chances of getting the job. Then again, I may not have to reveal it as it may be very evident during the interview. If I don't mention the SA it will be like an elephant in the room because I will always be trying of thinking of ways to bend the truth to cover up the "lost years". If I am just honest and outright with it, it would be so much easier for me. But would that kill my chances of getting the job? It's a Catch-22.

Any advice you guys can give me on how I can deal with this "elephant in the room" would be appreciated. Part of me is really proud of myself for getting this interview, but part of me is also scared to death. But I just think, even if I make a complete fool of myself and my mind goes so blank I can't answer a single question, just the fact that I got the interview and went to it is a positive thing. I don't care how badly I do, the fact is I was able defeat my fear and apathy long enough to give myself an opportunity. It's something I've never given myself before. I really hope this is the start of a change in my life. Thanks for reading.

·
Viva La Raza!
34,841 Posts
i guess its too late for me to chime in but its never a good idea to reveal any mental disabilities. there is still a stigma with them and employers might not hire you for that reason

1 - 3 of 3 Posts