Social Anxiety Support Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
oh the horror!
467 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just can't imagine getting hired at any job. Most jobs if not all require at least some socializing. Since I'm not good with people at all and have no social skills, I mean, how am I gonna manage working? Anywhere?? Its not that I have terrible social anxiety. I just never know what to say. Also all jobs require interviews and I'm afraid that I will have nothing good or important to say, nothing to contribute to the company or whatever.

·
Registered
60 Posts
You're so young and it's a very good sign that you say you don't really have terrible social anxiety. I think everybody hates interviews - just yuck. One tactic might be to choose a career where there's a strong need - and one where you get licensed or work with a school that will help you find a job. Is there anything in the health field that you think you might enjoy? Some jobs require less socializing than others - such as laboratory technician or medical records (where you type up doctors' notes.)

Well, I don't know all the options but jobs in health care will continue to increase, due to the aging of the population. Or any kind of nursing - I've had lots of nurses before who didn't really make a lot of conversation - just went about their business, while just being quietly polite. Just an idea - but it's way too early to worry too much! Many people improve their people skills just with getting older and try to not worry too much - it's ok to be a quiet person - it's actually a relief for many people to have quiet people around so they can do most of the talking :)

And jobs where there's a shortage of people applying - there would be less pressure and competition and so the interview process would probably just be a formality.

·
Banned
38,431 Posts
I have absolutely no fear in this area. The unknown causes fear and I damn well know I'm never going to be able to work at anything.

You're 18, so you so far have very little evidence to back up the assertion that you'll never be able to work. I have not worked nor gone to school since college graduation in May 1995 -- 16 years & 5 months ago. The last time I had any earned income at all would have been the summer of 1990. That income was from mowing lawns with my brother, so that's 21 years without any earned income.

I've been jobless longer than you've been alive. Wrap your mind around that.

·
Registered
154,233 Posts
I just can't imagine getting hired at any job. Most jobs if not all require at least some socializing. Since I'm not good with people at all and have no social skills, I mean, how am I gonna manage working? Anywhere?? Its not that I have terrible social anxiety. I just never know what to say. Also all jobs require interviews and I'm afraid that I will have nothing good or important to say, nothing to contribute to the company or whatever.
The socialization in the beginning will be around the job. The more you get to know your job, the better you will get at it.

Interviews aren't so bad, although I would fear some of the questions would try and trap me. That part is all about confidence.

·
Registered
50 Posts
PeakOfTheMountain,

I totally understand where you are coming from. I could have written exactly what you said myself. :/ I agree with millenniumman75 about the confidence, though I don't have it myself...I'm working on it :)

I hope you can find a good job soon!

·
Banned
1,299 Posts
I'm taking my misfortune with getting hired as a sign to find something better with my life as a career...I just have to muster up the courage to follow my dreams and not be afraid of falling on my face over and over and over again...but hey my whole life has trained me on falling on my face.

·
SASsy
18,115 Posts
I was much like you at your age. I had to force myself to apply for my first job at a fast food joint when I was 17. I was scared to death. But...to my surprise...I was hired on the spot and ended up working there for 3 years. :clap

·
Registered
1,345 Posts
You are young so you have that advantage, many employers will give you a chance because they know you haven't had the experience. So I would not worry about not getting hired at any job.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Not all jobs require tons of socializing. You just need to find what comforts you and what you do like talking about. Then move from there into looking for a career path.

Interviews are nerve-wracking for anyone, so don't feel alone on that.

·
Temporarily stationary
1,486 Posts
I'm terrified that I'm 25 and have no work history, and won't be graduating from college for at least another year (probably between 1-2 years at this point). I could be 27 by the time I'm looking to get hired and I just agonize over what job interviews are going to be like.

"Oh so you stayed inside and didn't do anything of substance for about a quarter of your life...huh thanks for coming in! We'll give you a call if we're interested."

I know I should find some sort of job now just to establish something approaching a work history but my SA always stops me from pursuing things. I'm going to need to do an internship this year for college so maybe that'll jump start things.

·
Banned
38,431 Posts
"Oh so you stayed inside and didn't do anything of substance for about a quarter of your life...huh thanks for coming in! We'll give you a call if we're interested."
^Yup.

Though if you finished an undergrad degree at 27, I'm thinking you could still pull off some BS story to explain away the wasted years. Perhaps you were caring for an elderly relative till they died or till they declined so much that a nursing home became necessary. Would a prospective employer actually attempt to check out that story and, if so, how?:stu

Even if my SA (and OCD, and GAD) were to magically disappear, I still would be screwed. How do I explain away May 1995-now? Plus no job nor internships during college. Plus volunteer work either. My only employment experience involved working with my brother for some years as a teen in lawn mowing & snow shoveling. How do I put down a contact number for that former employer? I'm not sure where his cremated remains reside & I'm pretty sure they wouldn't answer the phone anyhow, even to discuss my employment in the late 1980s. Or I could proudly tell them of how I delivered the Milwaukee Journal from age 12-13. Doubt they'd be be too impressed by that. That's the full extent of my work history at 38.

The larger the gap gets the bigger a lie needed to fill it, so we're talking about a mega lie needed in my case. Though somebody (I think Hitler) famously said something to the effect that people are more likely believe huge lies than little ones. Perhaps true, as he got the German public to not notice the genocide of millions of Jews (and others) till after the war was over he was dead. Bernie Madoff seemed to use the same huge lies work tactic. Bernie managed to run what may have been the biggest financial fraud in history, telling gigantic lies about assets that didn't exist to lots of rich & famous people and he got away with it for two decades with 16 visits from the SEC that never found anything but minor clerical errors.

Seems some folks are really good at pulling off gigantic lies.

I've noted before how in terms of getting a job it would likely be better to be a felon. If one says they were in prison since 1995 due to great mistakes made when they were young & stupid, but have since turned their life around they'd have a better shot than me at landing a job!:mum "I was in prison" is a tale folks in the HR department have heard before. Doubt they've heard "I was imprisoned by my social phobia" before, even though it's a common tale on this board.

·
Registered
622 Posts
I know that I wouldn't be hired at any self respecting company. That's exactly why I'm self employed. I've done all sorts of nonstandard jobs (independent contracting) and the socialization is at a comforting base. I basically don't have to interact with certain people if I don't want to which reduces my stress and anxiety.

I also get totally smashed at work but since I can hold my liquor, I never get called out. Have you tried taking a few shots before an interview? I tend to be more confident and outgoing after getting tipsy and I don't slur my speech or do things without thinking so there isn't many potential consequences.

I think at this point, opening my own business would be easier than being hired by someone else. Have you ever thought of doing that?

·
Temporarily stationary
1,486 Posts
I know that I wouldn't be hired at any self respecting company. That's exactly why I'm self employed. I've done all sorts of nonstandard jobs (independent contracting) and the socialization is at a comforting base. I basically don't have to interact with certain people if I don't want to which reduces my stress and anxiety.

I also get totally smashed at work but since I can hold my liquor, I never get called out. Have you tried taking a few shots before an interview? I tend to be more confident and outgoing after getting tipsy and I don't slur my speech or do things without thinking so there isn't many potential consequences.

I think at this point, opening my own business would be easier than being hired by someone else. Have you ever thought of doing that?
Honestly? That is what I want to do. I'm a computer science student though and getting consistent work can really fall on your networking skills (of which I have none).

The worst thing is that part of me feels like I'm at the point where I should be able to start something on my own (write some android/iOS apps, whatever) but I'm pretty overwhelmed by my classes and really trying to avoid falling into a depression. I was pretty depressed again in the summer and I've been super stressed at a new school, coupled with a new commute on the train (I normally drive everywhere), new people...blah blah blah.

If I can get through this semester I need to really apply myself and start something on my own.

If I go to an employer and say "yeah I've made X successful apps and interned at Y and Z for whatever time" I think I could make do. But that is just getting the job, I have no idea how I'd deal with coworkers.

Self employment sounds better and better all the time, but that requires being successful.

^Yup.

Though if you finished an undergrad degree at 27, I'm thinking you could still pull off some BS story to explain away the wasted years. Perhaps you were caring for an elderly relative till they died or till they declined so much that a nursing home became necessary. Would a prospective employer actually attempt to check out that story and, if so, how?:stu

Even if my SA (and OCD, and GAD) were to magically disappear, I still would be screwed. How do I explain away May 1995-now? Plus no job nor internships during college. Plus volunteer work either. My only employment experience involved working with my brother for some years as a teen in lawn mowing & snow shoveling. How do I put down a contact number for that former employer? I'm not sure where his cremated remains reside & I'm pretty sure they wouldn't answer the phone anyhow, even to discuss my employment in the late 1980s. Or I could proudly tell them of how I delivered the Milwaukee Journal from age 12-13. Doubt they'd be be too impressed by that. That's the full extent of my work history at 38.

**stuff about lies**

I've noted before how in terms of getting a job it would likely be better to be a felon. If one says they were in prison since 1995 due to great mistakes made when they were young & stupid, but have since turned their life around they'd have a better shot than me at landing a job!:mum "I was in prison" is a tale folks in the HR department have heard before. Doubt they've heard "I was imprisoned by my social phobia" before, even though it's a common tale on this board.
I did take care of my father when he was sick, but that was only for about a year and 7 years ago. I also spent most of that time hiding in my room being agoraphobic and depressed. I've spent the time since then in and out of school and being a hermit. My only job history is a few months in retail like 8 years ago.

The stuff about lies was honestly really interesting and I only snipped it to shorten the quote. Too bad I'm a terribly liar about stuff like that. Especially when it gets confronted.

The prison analogy is horribly depressing, heh.

·
Retired Bingo Cook
11,401 Posts
Try finding a job where you can work back room or over nights. Don't give up.

·
Registered
436 Posts
I have absolutely no fear in this area. The unknown causes fear and I damn well know I'm never going to be able to work at anything.

You're 18, so you so far have very little evidence to back up the assertion that you'll never be able to work. I have not worked nor gone to school since college graduation in May 1995 -- 16 years & 5 months ago. The last time I had any earned income at all would have been the summer of 1990. That income was from mowing lawns with my brother, so that's 21 years without any earned income.

I've been jobless longer than you've been alive. Wrap your mind around that.
I have not had a steady full time job in two years which everyone says pretty odd because I have a degree in Accounting & MS in Finance (but my employment history has been a disaster).

·
Registered
436 Posts

Myself, I am thinking of buying a business such as an establish vending route or something like that assuming the 'numbers work'. No matter how many interviews I go on I CANNOT GET HIRED. Even temp jobs require a full interview process with the client company and I always trip up on one or two questions which leads to rejection

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.