Social Anxiety Support Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay, so there was this competition on a Facebook Page where you could win a small piece of furniture, a home accessory (eg, a clock, lamp, picture frame, etc.)

One of my friends entered. You had to tag yourself and three friends in the picture of the accessory, and then post a comment saying what you'd use it for. In this case, it was a lamp. My friend tagged myself as one of his friends and posted the comment saying he'd use it to add a splash of colour to his room (the lamp was bright red) because it's so bland. One of our mutual friends who was also tagged said something along the lines of "It's true, all he has is a bed and a bedside table." (or something like that.) I then commented saying "And don't get me started on the floorboards."

A few days later the Facebook Page commented saying that I had won, not my friend. I hadn't even officially entered the competition. So, I asked my friend if he'd like it instead, since he had actually entered the competition, and I hadn't. I was expecting him to say that he didn't want it because I'd won. However, he said he did want it. Which I was (mostly) fine with.

However, I THEN found out that he'd won ANOTHER prize, yet he still wants the one that I won.

So I want to know what you guys think. Should I give him my prize? I don't want to say "You know what, I've decided I want to keep it." ... I don't really know what to do...

·
Registered
488 Posts
If you offered him the lamp then I would just stick to your word. If he had asked for it before your offer then I would have said just keep it for yourself. You don't want to start a fight with a friend over a lamp.

·
poison apple
4,058 Posts
Yeah that is a pickle.

But I mean, you did offer. Maybe he thinks you don't really like it, and he doesn't realize you were just offering to be nice.

So you could either stick with your word and give it to him, or tell him that you only offered b/c you thought he hadn't won anything, and you've decided you'd rather keep it. Or you could propose a trade. Ask if he wants to trade his prize (or something else) for yours.

I guess it all comes down to how much you like this lamp. It kinda sounds like you don't really care about the lamp all that much, and just want to keep it b/c your friend already won something else. So if you really don't care too much about owning the lamp specifically, then I'd say just let the friend have it.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Depends on if you really want the lamp or not. If you do, I don't think your friend should get upset if you keep it given that he won something, too. That way you both can have something nice. Friends should want each other to be happy.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts