Social Anxiety Support Forum banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
198 Posts
Like what others said, it makes them feel beter about themselves. What actually makes someone a "loser" varies between people, so it's means little IMO.
It's like when someone will tell me about someone they don't like and say "He/she has no friends.", as if it makes them an even more horrid person. I don't have alot of friends either, but that's because I'm super shy and avoidant, not because I'm a mean and terrible person to be around.

·
Registered
3,836 Posts
I don't use that word either at all. It sounds worse than cursing to me. It implies also that I am rating them on a worldly scale of status also and shows something about the person who uses it.

·
Registered
407 Posts
My sister was big on calling people this. I think it's horrible. I've never called someone that and never would.

·
Positively Revolting Hag
6,547 Posts
People called me that in primary school, I think it's pretty lame. I'm sure people still do it now haha, but that's because they're insecure about themselves. :)

·
Registered
407 Posts
No-one's a loser. No-one on here anyway :) We all rule, yea!

·
Banned
1,375 Posts
I used to call my friends losers all the time. Except I'd do it by quoting A Night at the Roxbury where Steve(Will Ferrell) says "You know what? Dad was right. You are a LOSER!"

·
Registered
3,836 Posts
I think I'm a loser, and I feel like a loser. I call myself one as well.
Don't do that. It is not an innocent thing. It hurts you as if someone else called you that and will stick with you where your mind will make pictures of the future that correlate with that label.
You are smart, strong, kind, attractive, moral, perceptive, and also human with fears, and disappointments like anyone else. You are allowed to make mistakes daily and learn from them.

·
R.I.P. Do not contact.
1,905 Posts
I personally can't think of a better word to describe myself: "Slang. A misfit, esp. someone who has never or seldom been successful at a job, personal relationship, etc."

·
Registered
407 Posts
I have always and only been a loser, constantly losing out on everything this world has to offer for almost two decades now. it's the only thing that's kept me busy in life or existence. and now I'm exhausted and desire to become what I guess could be called the ultimate loser. but nobody ever really wins anyways since it all comes down to the same thing in the end.
You're not a loser!!

·
Registered
36 Posts
Nothing wrong with being a loser. Of course is someone else calls you a loser, then they're just an a-hole. However I actually embrace the word loser. I think of it as who I am, and not in a negative way. I keep to myself, have very few friends, like being a loner, will likely never been greatly successful in life. And that's me. That's who I am. I'm not a fake, self absorbed, yuppie like most of the world. I'm just.....a loser.

Anyone see the movie American Splendor? THAT's what I'm talking about. I swear, that guy (Harvey Pekar) is me. That's the attitude I take towards life.

I'm a loser, and damn proud of it.

·
Registered
195 Posts

·
Banned
322 Posts
This is one of those stupid things about humans, they grossly pervert the meanings of words.

"Loser" means one who loses. Ergo, I am a loser, I have a whole range of medical conditions and I am only 18. I have no friends. I never go out. I am definitely "losing" lots of stuff. I would accept it if people applied this term to me. Annoyingly, this is not the only way people use the term.

Someone above posted that they would apply the term to sex offenders and rapists. These people are not losers, their victims are the losers, the sex offender themself is the winner - untill they, hopefully, end up in jail, at which point they are losers - what they have lost being their freedom. People grossly misapply this term all the time, if someone loses at some competitive event, they will often go as far as to accuse the person they lost to of being a "loser".

"Loser" is now just a generic insult, much like the word "gay" among 12 year olds, it means nothing beyond "I deride you". I hate how words are robbed of their meaning like this.

1 - 20 of 48 Posts