Social Anxiety Support Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi I'm Emma

I decided to try this out since I thought it would be nice to relate to others for a change. One of my biggest struggles is that I can't stand to be touched. Before I continue on I'd like to note that I've never had anything traumatic happen to me concerning being touched. Only saying that because a friend asked if that was my reason for hating to be touched. Anyways, touch and affection comes very easily to me (although it has to be someone very special if I even do) but when I'm the one being touched it's a different story. I feel like the person is trying to claim ownership of me when they hug\pat me. Especially if they do against my will, I feel disrespected. To me being touched is very invasive of my space and I feel defenseless. When people touch or brush up against my bare skin it literally feels like they're leaving a mark on me and it just make me cringe. The worst thing is that our church environment is very huggy and touchy, I literally ran away from someone that tried to hug me the other day and they chased after me, and hugged me as a froze up like a log. They always say "were gunna have work on hugging" or "give me a real hug" Does anyone else have this problem too?? I would appreciate feedback.

·
Nyctophiliac
327 Posts
I was abused pretty badly when I was younger, and it left me that way for a long time. Then, after attending therapy for a number of years, I learned to be okay with people touching me again.

·
text ghost
717 Posts
I feel like the person is trying to claim ownership of me when they hug\pat me. Especially if they do against my will, I feel disrespected. To me being touched is very invasive of my space and I feel defenseless.
Could be something to do with being guarded, not having much trust for people, underneath-- or not, just a guess. Having your boundaries encroached upon doesn't feel good, or having someone tell you that you need to 'work on' something that makes you uncomfortable :\ sorry you have to deal with that, esp at church.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I was abused pretty badly when I was younger, and it left me that way for a long time. Then, after attending therapy for a number of years, I learned to be okay with people touching me again.
Sorry about the abuse. No one deserves anything like that to happen to them. But Im glad you made progress with the therapy:) I hope things continue to look up for you.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Could be something to do with being guarded, not having much trust for people, underneath-- or not, just a guess. Having your boundaries encroached upon doesn't feel good, or having someone tell you that you need to 'work on' something that makes you uncomfortable :\ sorry you have to deal with that, esp at church.
Now that I think about it, you just might be right. I def have trust issues. Thank you for understanding:)

·
Registered
154,235 Posts
Welcome, EmmaKate! :)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts