Social Anxiety Support Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
There's just something about standing that makes me feel really uncomfortable. When I'm at home I really have no problems, and when I'm walking it isn't much of a problem. But when I have to stand, for example in a line I feel really awkward. Last month I had to go to jury duty (I wasn't selected), and I just remember it feeling really uncomfortable when I was standing outside the door with about 20 other people, waiting to be let in. I don't know why, but it just felt really painfully uncomfortable. I couldn't even turn my neck or move, I just stood there frozen, and I just keep feeling like my arms were really stiff.

·
Registered
488 Posts
Are you worried about what people are thinking? I always try to blend in to crowds but I feel like I stick out like a sore thumb. I just fidget with my phone or something when I feel like this.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Here's a good practice. Slowly turn your head around and check to see what people are doing. You'll notice that no one really gives a crap, and they are all bored and in their own little worlds.

Put yourself in their shoes. Do YOU think they judge EVERY single person they see? Do you judge every single person you see? I doubt it. And even if people judge, that's their problem, not yours. You shouldn't have to worry about what other people think, because it's their concern. They won't even remember an hour later either. Stop basing your identity on other peoples thinking, life is too short.

99% of the time when you think someone is judging, they arent.

·
Registered
137 Posts
I hate it to.. I especially hate standing outside a classroom with like 30 other people; it's pretty much impossible to avoid eye contact with people in those situations, which makes me really uncomfortable.

·
Registered
198 Posts
You should try to flooding technique. When I feel self conscious about my actions, I make sure to do those actions and even exaggerate the motions. Once you do that, you'll realize that either no one was watching you in the first place, or that it's not that big of a deal if they do see you twitch or whatever.

·
Banned
156 Posts
I very much dislike standing, too. I was waiting in line to buy some things and my heart was beating in my head. I always worry that since I look so scary, that they think I'm gonna rob them.
You could use that to your advantage. Like, cut in lines, grab that parking spot you want before someone else does, tell an annoying kid to stop yelling...lots of advantages with looking scary, if you think about it :p

Oh and for the thread topic, standing or sitting doesn't make a difference to me. People are gonna act the same towards you or look at you whether you stand or sit.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I get really uncomfortable standing in lines as well, worried about people looking at me. (Which usually makes me blush and sweat and fidget too much, I feel like I make other people nervous with my nervousness....)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts