Social Anxiety Support Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, every time I look in the mirror, or find pictures that I'm in, I get upset over how ugly I look. I also tend to break down when talking to girls, because all I think about are faults with how I look, and so I choke. I've only been in two relationships in my life, and they kind of came to me (I don't even know how). I can be confident when I want to be, but when I look at myself, the confidence level just drops tenfold.

I'm attempting to take a step in changing up my appearance a bit. I'm contemplating on whether or not I should get contacts (I normally wear glasses). I think my sense of fashion is decent.

Here are a couple of pictures of me:

With glasses - http://i.imgur.com/Yj8s7.jpg
Without - http://i.imgur.com/yyBLH.jpg

If I can get some honest opinions and advice, that would be great! Oh, and guess my age -- as a bonus!

·
Omnipresent
402 Posts
You look perfectly fine to me. I personally like the pic without glasses a wee bit better, but with isn't bad either. As for the age: 19/20ish?

Most people hate the way they look in pictures, but it's mostly our brain playing tricks on us. Because we're used to seeing our flipped image in the mirror, the asymmetries stand out more when we look at our non-flipped image, even though others might not even notice them at all. As for the mirror: that is most likely the result of being overly judgmental of yourself, or possibly BDD, but believe me when i say you look perfectly normal.

(I'm dealing with the same exact kind of crap, and even though i genuinely believe what i just wrote above; it can still ruin my day when i look at a picture i'm in. )

·
Registered
10,667 Posts
You aren't ugly but you do look better without glasses. Atleast you've been in a relationship before. A lot of people who are a lot older than you have never been in a relationship. I've only had two boyfriends as well. The first one was when I was 13 and the second one was when I was 18. Sadly, both of those relationships only lasted for two weeks. I ended up dumping the both of them because they were just desparate.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Most people hate the way they look in pictures, but it's mostly our brain playing tricks on us. Because we're used to seeing our flipped image in the mirror, the asymmetries stand out more when we look at our non-flipped image, even though others might not even notice them at all. As for the mirror: that is most likely the result of being overly judgmental of yourself, or possibly BDD, but believe me when i say you look perfectly normal.
I've read about that. So, sounds like another obstacle to overcome. Seems a whole lot easier said than done.

You aren't ugly but you do look better without glasses. Atleast you've been in a relationship before. A lot of people who are a lot older than you have never been in a relationship. I've only had two boyfriends as well. The first one was when I was 13 and the second one was when I was 18. Sadly, both of those relationships only lasted for two weeks. I ended up dumping the both of them because they were just desparate.
I've gotten a lot of remarks saying that I should ditch the glasses. Hard to do, considering I've worn glasses almost my entire life, and I feel I look weird without them. I may as well give it a shot since I was considering it anyway. I'm looking for anything to boost my self-esteem and confidence level.

Anybody else have similar issues that can relate?

·
Cynical *******.
2,490 Posts
I feel as if I am ugly as sin, so I guess? And I have glasses but I never wear them.

·
Registered
623 Posts
I know how that feels. I am overweight so whenever I look in the mirror I am disgusted at how my body looks. I am working on losing weight but it is very slow going.

I hate being in photos too. Mainly because I have a terrible smile and I feel it is an invasion of privacy as well. I am supposed to wear glasses because of my lazy eye but I was teased and made fun of all throughout my school years for wearing them.

·
SAS Member
2,118 Posts
I was thinking about going to the beach today, then I saw myself in the mirror and went back to bed instead. How on earth I got so horrendously ugly is beyond me.

As for you, you suit glasses and at a guess I'd say early-ish 30s.

·
straight chillin
26 Posts
I wouldn't categorize you as ugly at all! But I do know what its like to hate the way you look so I can totally relate to how you feel ( even if its not true).

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I was thinking about going to the beach today, then I saw myself in the mirror and went back to bed instead. How on earth I got so horrendously ugly is beyond me.

As for you, you suit glasses and at a guess I'd say early-ish 30s.
Do I really look that old (early 30s)?? Great.........

1 - 14 of 14 Posts