Social Anxiety Support Forum banner
1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
aldehyde dehydrogenaser
7,429 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ugh, people mow their lawns every SINGLE DAY in the freaking summer in the suburbs. Talk about waking up to the sound of a stupid lawnmower at the crack of dawn (or whenever you happen to wake up)and/or hearing construction and/or hearing stupid buzzsaws going on all day. Anyone have this experience where they live?? Well, I'm writing this at the moment because my neighbor is mowing his lawn AT 8:00 in the evening after making a constant buzzing sound earlier in the afternoon. They're always cutting down some tree or branch in an attempt to landscape, like there are more branches and trees to cut down after they've removed 3 trees from their yard (their yard is pretty big). ARgh, just stop the noise already people!!

·
Registered
9,124 Posts
Either mow the grass or have a jungle out back. I understand where youre coming from to some degree though. Let the grass grow some before cutting it at least.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Wow how lucky. I rather be woken up by lawnmowers in the morning than being woken up by gunshots, or neighbors fighting, kids crying, police and ambulance sirens, waking up from the loud neighbors having sex, or waking up from a police officer knocking on your door asking you about a house invasion. The walls here are like cardboard you can here the neighbors snoring and I can never get good sleep. Sorry about my little rant. But every time you get woken up by lawnmowers remember it could be worse.

·
crazy
2,067 Posts
Yes, lawnmowers, leaf blowers, chainsaws, they sounds like gigantic ****ing mosquitoes. Could there be a more annoying sound?

If I ever have a yard I'm going to turn it into an English garden, or a Japanese rock garden. Or replace it with astroturf.

·
Banned
38,431 Posts
The guy we hire to mow the lawn only does it every 2 weeks. I don't see anyone else in my neighborhood who has their grass mowed to 3" and then let's it go for 2 weeks. It can be shaggy looking, but far more natural than this insanely short stuff that is typical of suburban yards where folks seem to think it's a putting green. If you want ultra-short ultra-green grass you have to water it endlessly and cut endlessly. Leave it rather long and it doesn't need water, other than the natural kind that falls from the sky.

·
aldehyde dehydrogenaser
7,429 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I'm from the suburbs of MN. Move to the city where people have tiny yards and better attitudes.
I used to live in the city actually, but I didn't have such a problem with noise pollution in the city. I guess the only noise that really bothered me was the trains going on at nighttime but even they had some sort of appeal, unlike the lawnmowers and diesel engines that I hear nowadays. It's just so annoying when all of a sudden you hear the roar of a diesel engine right outside your window because the streets in the suburbs are located a few feet from your yard (as opposed to major streets dividing the residential houses versus city buildings.) I dunno, maybe I'm too anal about these kinds of things.

·
aldehyde dehydrogenaser
7,429 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
If you want ultra-short ultra-green grass you have to water it endlessly and cut endlessly. Leave it rather long and it doesn't need water, other than the natural kind that falls from the sky.
Yeah, that ultra-short green grass is what a lot of people seem to want to have, it's almost like a status symbol around here. If you don't have a perfect lawn then you're not a good citizen and you don't care about looking good and you probably belong in the projects (no offense to anyone) haha. And yes, I've been in the projects before so yeah.

·
Registered
928 Posts
Somehow I love the noise of a lawnmower on the weekend. It kinda reminds me of a time when I was little, playing in the garden while dad did the weekend mowing. Happy times.

Nowdays you dont hear it much since we've been through a drought, our water storage levels are low, we've had water restrictions and everyones grass is looking dead. I miss green grass!

·
Registered
21 Posts
Nowdays you dont hear it much since we've been through a drought, our water storage levels are low, we've had water restrictions and everyones grass is looking dead. I miss green grass! __________________
Same here, hasn't rained in months, there's no grass from the intense heat but yet the poor Mexican dudes come around every Wed. morning in my apt. complex and 'mow' the dead grass. It's a big waste of money and gas, IMO.

Needless to say, I hate Wed. mornings.

·
giggling ******
11,070 Posts
I don't mind the sound of lawnmowers, but I do get annoyed by people's obsessions with their lawns.

·
Registered
9,124 Posts
Yeah, that ultra-short green grass is what a lot of people seem to want to have, it's almost like a status symbol around here. If you don't have a perfect lawn then you're not a good citizen and you don't care about looking good and you probably belong in the projects (no offense to anyone) haha. And yes, I've been in the projects before so yeah.
Tell me about it. I had an old man come over and complain about me driving my riding lawn mower in his yard. He said he had to clean up what my mower dropped off lol. He keeps his grass really low. That doesnt appeal to me. I let the grass grow for 2 to 3 weeks then cut it. I have an acre of land and Im gone for weeks at a time. Ive actually been thinking of getting sheep and goats to naturally mow the grass. Sheep are supposed to be excellent at mulching grass although sometimes they eat the roots. Goats prefer weeds but will eat virtually any vegetation. Now all I need is a fence. Or maybe I will let them free range :lol.

·
Registered
3,218 Posts
I used to have to mow the lawn every sunday. Lawnmowers suck. Suburban houses on top of each other suck too. My last neighbors used to use a push mower which I thought was cool

·
Little Winged One
6,445 Posts
I used to have a neighbor that mowed constantly too-she was also always clipping bushes,weeding etc.- I think it was more something to fill the time more than anything else.- Her yard seemed to be her whole life-she was out there early every morning and sometimes past dark working on that yard,it was sad.

·
Registered
10,520 Posts
Lots of people mow their lawns all of the time here. They even wait until the evening to do it. Also, lots of people in the winter will run snowblowers or other snow moving equipment in the evening. The guy that just lives across the street where my bedroom always gets out at 10 pm using his four wheeler to plow snow. Why can't you do this in the afternoon when you get home.

1 - 20 of 47 Posts