Social Anxiety Support Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
today I sat at the library eating at a table (yes you can eat at my library...) and then 2 girls came in and told me if they can join table because they also needed the table to study or eat and I said "Sure!" but deep down I was like noooo I got nervous and then I told myself I gotta talk to them so I looked around.. and saw they had the same book as mine so I figured they're in the same class as mine.. so I opened the conversation and it was good, I felt less nervous.. I told them I was new to the class, because I registered a bit late so I didn't attend the first class... they gave me their notes... and later I had to go, so I told them "see you later in class"

few hours later, in class Ive seen them, we said hi, the lecture went well.. until we had to split in groups, Since I am new.. I figured I might join the 2 girls team, they said sure no problem.. but after for some weird reason one of the 2 girls spoke with the teacher telling him that I am new kid, "is it ok if we're 5?" the teacher pointed me that there was this group of 3 and that I should joined them.. so I feel like she kinda wanted me out of the group, because I was the new kid, and I looked lost with the material

anyway so I teamed up with the other team.. and I felt a complete loner.. everyone is so into the subject.. and being quiet doesn't help and I was lost with the material (too much to catch on).. I felt left out.. and when class was done.. no one said bye to me.. 1 week down, 12 more to go.. how am I going to survive this?...

this always happens with group work.. everyone is shouting its hard to hear them, and the material isn't easy to grasp, its awkward
please share your experience from group work
thanks

·
Registered
3,471 Posts
I had an experience at music college where we were split into groups, and We were asked to do a kind of improvised phrase in turn exercise, OK so there were two metal guitarists with proper amps, a bassist with an amp, and me on a school keyboard with tiny keyboard speakers that were silent, The idea was to play a phrase, then the next person would follow with an improvised phrase, and so on, but the two metalheads just started riffing the hardcore and the bassist joined in,
I went out for a ciggy, and when I came back, I just stood outside the door, they were still going, AsI was listening outside, the lecturer appeared at my shoulder, "What the hell are you doing this is part of an asesment you have to join in, She was angry, I replied, "well why dont you try going in and having a go with your flute(her instrument), She just said "get back to the class, now!..."
When we al got back in the class she lost the rag...she had a full blown "attack the disabled student" meltdown at me with all the wrath of a discriminating prejudiced uneducated moron.
I just walked out of the class and went to the pricipals ofice to complain.
The principal just said; "compromise has to be reached on both sides"
She was an OK player on the flute, but abo****e zero people skills...
:)
I hope yer course works out in the end, just take your own time, do the best you can.

·
insert witty comment here
6,235 Posts
I have to do group work at my University every single week. I normally do not have a problem with it, it is just that the other students are lazy and do nothing.

·
Registered
137 Posts
I cant seem to think clearly when I'm working in a group, which makes me slower at comprehending the material and unable to contribute much to the group as a result. So I think I give the impression that I'm stupid or lazy, which really bothers me. I work so much better on my own :\

·
Registered
89 Posts
I cant seem to think clearly when I'm working in a group, which makes me slower at comprehending the material and unable to contribute much to the group as a result. So I think I give the impression that I'm stupid or lazy, which really bothers me. I work so much better on my own :\
I wish more teachers understood this...it's like they are all obsessed with group work

·
Registered
16 Posts
I totally know how that feels.

I'm very reluctant to do group work because I always feel as though everyone holds me back. I don't like doing group work because my ideas are very rarely considered with any solemnity and no one seems to really care about how I think.

In fact, I do much better on my own. I usually exceed the people who probably think that they're better than me when I work alone.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts