Social Anxiety Support Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Not 100% a Dick
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It terrifies me. I've avoided it as long as I could, but I'm 18 now and had to get my learners permit. I almost have a panic attack every time I sit in the drivers seat. Its too much to watch for and pay attention to, it completely overwhelms me. Today I bawled while driving, which doesn't make it any easier!! I feel like this is way too hard, and when I remember that everyone drives, it makes me feel dumb that I can't get it. People honk at me at it just triggers my anxiety that everyone's judging me. Just the thought that I have to do this for the rest of my life makes me feel sick. How do people do this??

·
Registered
8 Posts
I totally get how you feel. I'm also 18, and I got my permit two years ago. Because I also HATE driving, I have made a bad habit of putting it off, even when I desperately need the practice. I tried for my license 3 times, and after the third my permit had expired and I had to retake the permit test. I know what it's like to feel totally embarrassed about driving, and how stupid you feel when you can't get it. But like you said, driving is something that most people are going to need to learn, no matter how scary. I don't really have the right to give you advice since I don't have my license yet either, but just remember this: you're not at all alone. Somewhere in the world, some other socially anxious 18 year old girl also sucks at driving, to the point that it makes her physically uncomfortable. Remember this, and maybe we can get though it together. Though I haven't been driving lately, I know from experience that the more constantly you practice, the better. Because I am naturally anxious, I usually take the easy route, literally. Get into the habit of practicing things you hate, like parallel parking, switching lanes, etc. I hereby PROMISE that I will try to do the same. From what I gear, life will be a lot easier once we can drive ourselves places, and escape the constant nagging of out parents.

·
Registered
3,289 Posts
This goes away with repitition. I had the same issue. I was only comfortable driving where there was no traffic, and you wouldn't catch me on a highway like I-95. Take your time, and its better to have people honking at you because you are being careful and not reckless. You could try practicing when there is less traffic, then subject yourself to a little more traffic, and so on. Drive with no music on at first, be aware of your surroundings. Go for night drives when there is no traffic with a little bit of music and fresh air.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Just try your best that's all you can do. Don't get distracted and focus on what you are being taught and learned in your lessons. Do it they you were taught, don't try stuff your own way.

·
Depressed
156 Posts
Driving is stupid.. It's a stunt that everyone is forced to perform
Yes, it is for most of the people. Some really need it while others (who I think are the majority) just do it because everyone does it, although they could reach their destination in 20 minutes of walking or use public transportation to avoid the stress of driving and finding a parking spot.

·
Registered
842 Posts
if you're having problems learning because of traffic, get up early sunday morning like 6-7am and drive around. there's not much traffic until 10am or so. also, if you can get a GPS and put your destination in ahead of time. that way you don't have to navigate at the same time your driving.

·
18 Posts
I took a quick look at the Michigan DMV's info about teen licensing. I'm guessing you have a level 1 permit which has similar restrictions to learner's permits in other states. That is, you have to drive with a licensed driver who is over the age of 21.

I don't know about you but I remember having someone with me as an added stress. It was bad enough trying to get use to the car (don't get me started on the awful experience of trying to learn to drive stick), but my parents were inconsistent about taking me out and it felt like they were constantly telling me all of the things I was doing wrong. It took over 3 years and 3 attempts at the behind-the-wheel test before I got my license.

My husband used to have terrible anxiety about driving. He would freeze when he got behind the wheel. Because of this, he didn't get his driver's license until last year at the age of 42. He also has been on an anti-depressant for the last couple of years which I think may have helped with his self-doubt.

When I took him out to practice, I was determined to not make the same mistakes my parents made with me. He practiced in a large, empty parking lot (belongs to his office) and took it slowly, at his own pace. We'd do this at least every other day, 1/2 hr per session. I consciously made a point of trying to be encouraging as possible and to focus on what he was doing right. It took about a month before he was ready to drive the car the 1/2 mile back to our house. As he got more comfortable, he expanded the scenarios (local roads with traffic, larger/busier roads, eventually highway). All told, he spent 4 months practicing and about a full month before he was comfortable enough to leave the parking lot. Today he drives to work 20 miles each way (his office moved which is why he got the license).

You can do this with a lot of practice and support. Driving is not as easy as it looks. You're going to make mistakes at first and that's ok. The more you practice, the easier it gets. That's why so many people think it's easy. They do it so often that they've forgotten how hard it can be at first.

·
Gamma male
319 Posts
People honk at me at it just triggers my anxiety that everyone's judging me.
Driving is one of the most anonymous things you can do in everyday life; there's no reason to be anxious about that part of it.

Although if people are constantly honking at you, you should probably drive more efficiently.

·
Registered
397 Posts
I know what you mean. I had a fear of driving years ago but I was wanting and excited to have my own license. Some how most of fear went away and now I love driving and have a license but I don't do it often though. It also helps that my town is small, it only has one intersection with lights. XD

·
slave
4,382 Posts
I'm actually really excited to learn. I've already gotten the book, which is coming this week. I seriously can't wait to start studying.

·
Registered
233 Posts
My sister is like this too, she gets really nervous about driving and so emotional behind the wheel. I'm the only person who teaches her to drive so I kind of know what you're going through here. While you're driving you should just forget about every thing behind you, that stuff isn't important yet. Just focus on what is in front of you. Know in your mind where you want to go before you even get there, including all turns and lane changes. Also, people are the biggest *******s on the road. This is a fact. Ignore them, even the best drivers (like me!) get honked at every now and then...because drivers a *******s...even me sometimes.

·
Happy little duck
460 Posts
I'm not a fan of driving either, got the learner's permit but hardly practiced. Get massive anxiety as well.

·
Banned
907 Posts
I dont like driving either..I especially hate people who act reckless on the road...I'v passed that whole speed demon phase when I was a teenager but some people never grow out of it.

a few nights ago I passed some people riding horses right in the middle of the goddamn road..they werent even wearing reflectors or ANYTHING..I could barely even see them even with my brights on I had to slam on my brakes and move into the next lane.

·
Registered
10,667 Posts
The only reasons why I hate driving is because

1. I have to pay for gas
2. My tires get low on air.
3. There are drunk drivers out there
4. there are selfish drivers out there
5. THERE ARE STUPID DRIVERS

The one thing that pisses me off the most is stupid drivers. Today, this older lady passed the f&ckin stop sign and almost t boned me. I honked at her and threw her the middle finger. Careless drivers should not even be driving because they can put other people's lives at risk. Also, I personally know 3 people who got a DUI and I am disappointed in them because they could have seriously hurt somebody. I don't care if they end up hurting themselves. That is their own responsibility. I think there are cabs for drunk people. In Austin, they have something called an E Bus and they take drunk people home. That would not even be a great place to be in.

·
blob
1,221 Posts
yea, i always get butterflies as i'm walking out to the car. sometimes i'll just sit in the parking lot for a while before i actually start the car.. i have to wait till the coast is clear (i live in a huge apartment complex)

and when i actually get on the road, i'm always talking to the cars, like "dont you dare turn in front of me!" lol. and when i do something dumb, like accidentally cut someone off, i always feel very guilty and stupid, and i apologize to them lol

but yea, i always avoid driving when i can

·
Registered
152 Posts
I love driving it's what I look forward to everyday. It was scary at first but you get use to it quick. Just remember everyone makes mistakes you don't have to be a perfect driver. And don't worry if people honk at you there just impatient. Whenever that happens just turn the radio up lol

1 - 20 of 25 Posts