Social Anxiety Support Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Exact same as above.No friends or girlfriend.Dont get along with my family.
Feels like everybody else in the entire world is enjoying christmas except me.Makes me feel like even more of a failure then I already am.Wish I could just sleep through every holiday.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I too hate Christmas, although my reasons are probably not as traumatic as yours. Christmas was just never a good time for me or my family. I don't really want to share any more than that.

I am a psychiatric nurse and am aware that Christmas is a difficult time for many people. For me, I choose to work - good excuse not to join in the jolity!

Anyway, at least the "festive" season is for a limited time. Take solice in those that love you all year round. So-called family can hurt or heal. As an adult you can choose who you wish to love and to recognise who loves you xx

·
Registered
511 Posts
I used to love Christmastime as a kid, but once I had my 1st real breakdown in my teens and was afflicted with SA, being around family was no longer relaxing or enjoyable. I'm fortunate to have enough seniority where I work to be able to take one of my week-long vacations around Christmas - which coworkers assume I do in order to be with family, but in reality it only saves me the stress of forcing cheerfulness with frantic, Christmas-obsessed customers. It also gives me some (never enough) time alone, before the family gathering on December 25th.

So far I've spent my vacation glued to my PC and getting drunk. Ho, Ho, Ho. I haven't bought any Christmas gifts yet because I avoid shopping like the plague, and all the happy holiday music and gaudy mall decorations in the world won't change that. When I do finally go, it will be after midnight to a store that's open 24/7, since crowds make my SA so much worse. Each year, when my mother discovers that I haven't put up even a shred of tinsel in my apartment, she looks at me with shock and disappointment - incredulous over how her once happy kid with a Christmassy name has turned out... Bah. Humbug.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I've never been the biggest fan of Christmas, either. Even when I was little and got tons of presents, I was always nervous opening my gifts in front of others. And more than that, I've always felt slightly out of touch with my family. Over the years I've gotten better, but Christmas still makes me feel sad, even when I had a good social life and a boyfriend. I think it's because I've never felt truly myself at any point in my life, because of my social anxiety and depression. It sounds so dramatic, but I don't know if I've ever experienced true happiness for an extended period of time. That's why I think Christmas time is so hard for people like us, because you're supposed to feel something you don't. Happiness, peace, tranquility, togetherness.

Wow, I'm just a dramatic, ranting mess tonight, haha.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Agree

I like the statement about a party including everyone else. It's how I feel. My father was a violent alcoholic, and Christmas was always terrible. He yelled about the decorations, and yelled at us Christmas day, sometimes breaking our presents. I hated it.

It seems something bad always happens this time of the year. I was single until my early 40's, and and resigned myself to a quiet day of reading, computer games, etc. It had started to get a little better until this year.

Last week, I found out that a year ago, my husband stopped paying our mortgage, taxes, and other bills. Apparently he had CC debt before we got married, and never told me. But, we do NOT live an extravagant lifestyle, and he has no explanation for where all the money form his pay went, in addition to our depleted savings. Our home is being foreclosed in 3 weeks. We can't stop it because he ignored the previous notices. In the back of his closet was mail over 2 years old. I found bills, magazines, etc.

We only owed $45,000 on the house. Now, it is $100,000 with the fees. Plus, his other debt. I just had cancer surgery, and am unable to work. But, even disability, which I am in the process of applying for, won't save us.

I hate Christmas. Bad things always happen. Very bad things.

Overwhelmed with life

·
Crazy resident stoner
662 Posts
I'm not too fond of xmas myself. I enjoy it, but as I don't have a family it gets kinda lonely. But I don't let that get me down, there's plenty of things to do. I like to help others on xmas. Today is no different. I'm gonna be happy because I want to be.

·
Registered
35 Posts
I used to love Christmastime as a kid, but once I had my 1st real breakdown in my teens and was afflicted with SA, being around family was no longer relaxing or enjoyable. I'm fortunate to have enough seniority where I work to be able to take one of my week-long vacations around Christmas - which coworkers assume I do in order to be with family, but in reality it only saves me the stress of forcing cheerfulness with frantic, Christmas-obsessed customers. It also gives me some (never enough) time alone, before the family gathering on December 25th.

So far I've spent my vacation glued to my PC and getting drunk. Ho, Ho, Ho. I haven't bought any Christmas gifts yet because I avoid shopping like the plague, and all the happy holiday music and gaudy mall decorations in the world won't change that. When I do finally go, it will be after midnight to a store that's open 24/7, since crowds make my SA so much worse. Each year, when my mother discovers that I haven't put up even a shred of tinsel in my apartment, she looks at me with shock and disappointment - incredulous over how her once happy kid with a Christmassy name has turned out... Bah. Humbug.
its the comments by middle-aged people like you that make me see my future. I am 22 now. I am sure I will be in a similar social situation when I am your age.
Question is: how the hell I am gonna spend the rest of my God-knows-how-many years left in my life? At least as a child I knew if something sucked then, it would get better in the future. But now I know.....what sucks now will always suck. This disillusionment is morbid.

·
Registered
35 Posts
I'm not too fond of xmas myself. I enjoy it, but as I don't have a family it gets kinda lonely. But I don't let that get me down, there's plenty of things to do. I like to help others on xmas. Today is no different. I'm gonna be happy because I want to be.
good for you

·
learning...
663 Posts

This pretty much explains me too. Apart from the job bit. I loathe Christmas and dread its coming from late-November onwards. I don't really relax (as far as I ever can relax, that is) until after New Year's Day.
Horrible time of year.

·
Cynic
435 Posts
Wow, I was going to voice my 'problems' but they're really nothing compared to what some people have to endure this time of year. Makes me feel quite pathetic.

Yeah, Christmas is not fun....it stopped being fun at the age of 14/15 for me.
I wish there was a neutral place I could go to spend the holidays, maybe go kick it with some animals or something. Animals are fun.
:agree Animals are cool. They're not so judgemental.

Here's to a Happy New Year.. :um Which i'll probably spend watching my new Pacific DVD. Super.

·
Banned
12,147 Posts
Does anyone else feel this way about christmas?
I used to love Christmas even though I hardly ever got any good gifts. I just loved the atmosphere and going out to the shopping centers and seeing all the decorations and stuff. I used to love putting up the tree. But over the years, my family just ruined it for me. None of them have ever been as big on Christmas as I was and didn't put any effort into making it a special time. My mother and I have never really gotten along that well. Past few years, she's been on this ultra religious kick where she thinks it's a sin or something to put up a tree. I tried to spend some time with her earlier and she just started pointless arguments about every little thing.

It has gotten progressively worse over the past few years. This year is the worst Christmas I can remember. I've hated everything about this year from the first day of January until now. I don't think I'll ever have another Christmas like the ones I used to have.

·
SAS Member
31,297 Posts
The only thing that I don't like is having to eat with family. Other than that, it's not too bad for me. I think missing the party would have to be New Year's Eve more than Christmas.

·
Registered
1 Posts
No Worries

My friends, there are tons of people who hate Christmas, and I am guilty as charged. For this, I converted to Islam because I fell in love with the beliefs and how my Muslim friends lived their lives. A couple nights ago we all had a great laugh about when I said "Who puts a ****ing tree in their house?" Not saying you should convert to Islam, but find people who dont believe or dont like christmas to celebrate something else.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.