Social Anxiety Support Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Today I had to testify in court. I am being sued by somebody who wants money from me. In addition they were trying to have me incarcerated until I agreed to give them the money. They lost on all counts.

I was a mess and throwing up for a few days before, but somehow, I woke up this morning and the anxiety wasn't nearly as strong. I was just ready to do it. I took the stand today, and did better than I could have ever hoped for. I had repeated visions in my head of me being an insane mess when I got up there, and it didn't happen at all. Granted, I took 0.5 mg of xanax along with my daily propranolol, so I had pharmaceutical assistance, but I am still very proud of myself.

I have never been to "real" court, just traffic court, and appearances for a few possession charges when I was young (which is basically like traffic court), so the unknown aspect of it was the part that was driving me crazy.

There is still a federal case concerning the same issue that was dealt with today in the state court, but today was the important one.

I am just very happy with myself, and thought I would share. Most of the time when I tell myself I am going to fail over and over, I still manage to succeed when the time comes. Anticipation is almost always worse than the actual event. I wish I could maintain the confidence I have at this very moment forever.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Wow. I'm glad it went well. Why was the plaintiff mad at you?

·
Banned
19,437 Posts
Hey, congrats! That must have been sooooo hard!

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Wow. I'm glad it went well. Why was the plaintiff mad at you?
The plaintiffs are mad at me because they are my ex-inlaws. My wife committed suicide in Sept 08, and left me money. They want the money, so they are suing me. It is a lot more complicated than that, but that is the jist of it.

·
Registered
154,235 Posts
That sounds like a very painful time, man. All around. :(
I am glad you stood up for yourself. Just remember that they are in grief, too.

...not even a year since she died. :(

·
Registered
2 Posts
Well done man. There are few things more stressful and sinister than litigation and the legal system. It ranks as just slightly more agreeable than being mauled by bears.
It demonstrates quite a lot of strength to get through that like you did. Good job.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts