Social Anxiety Support Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
so.

compared to a lot of you, i'm pretty young. i'm almost in high school but not quite. so if this seems a little stupid, that's why.

but anyway.
despite (probably, i've never been diagnosed) having social anxiety, i do have quite a few people i consider close friends, even a best friend. but here's my problem: i hate texting people first, i hardly text people at all. because i think i'm annoying them or bothering them. sometimes i even feel like they're pretending to like me because they pity me.

okay, so. let me get the main thing i need advice for.
i'd like to ask my best friend to hangout, since i havent seen her in a while, but i'm literally terrified and i feel pathetic about it.
what if she says she can't, but she's just lying because she doesn't like me anyway and just pretends to when she has to.
i know that's irrational, but what if it's not?

anyway, i know she's free on tuesday, so i thought of asking her then.
but i need to work up the nerve.
i mean i know if she said yes just this once i could get over a huge part of my social anxiety, but i'm literally scared to even start typing out that text.

any advice? has anyone else had this same thing and realized it was nothing?

should i do it? is it worth it?
i mean i asked her once if she ever found me annoying and she said no, and she said that she felt like she annoyed everyone too. so maybe she's not texting me first for the same reason? but she used to...

sorry about this going so many different directions...

·
Registered
18 Posts
Just go for it, if you annoy someone that's their problem , either you'll lose a friend that's not a real friend anyways or you'll realize your should have a long time ago. Message me if you ever need someone to talk to ! :)

·
Registered
73 Posts
I'd say just go for it but maybe write first and second drafts first, do some editing/proofreading before sending.

·
Registered
667 Posts
so.

compared to a lot of you, i'm pretty young. i'm almost in high school but not quite. so if this seems a little stupid, that's why.

but anyway.
despite (probably, i've never been diagnosed) having social anxiety, i do have quite a few people i consider close friends, even a best friend. but here's my problem: i hate texting people first, i hardly text people at all. because i think i'm annoying them or bothering them. sometimes i even feel like they're pretending to like me because they pity me.

okay, so. let me get the main thing i need advice for.
i'd like to ask my best friend to hangout, since i havent seen her in a while, but i'm literally terrified and i feel pathetic about it.
what if she says she can't, but she's just lying because she doesn't like me anyway and just pretends to when she has to.
i know that's irrational, but what if it's not?

anyway, i know she's free on tuesday, so i thought of asking her then.
but i need to work up the nerve.
i mean i know if she said yes just this once i could get over a huge part of my social anxiety, but i'm literally scared to even start typing out that text.

any advice? has anyone else had this same thing and realized it was nothing?

should i do it? is it worth it?
i mean i asked her once if she ever found me annoying and she said no, and she said that she felt like she annoyed everyone too. so maybe she's not texting me first for the same reason? but she used to...

sorry about this going so many different directions...
In an unfamiliar situation like this, you'll go crazy trying to guess how the other person will be affected. You just have to try it out to see what happens.

But you have to tell yourself and believe that what you are doing is reasonable: You haven't seen your friend in a while and you want to meet her. So you want to contact her. Does this sound like a reasonable thing to do?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts