Social Anxiety Support Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
A Living Woman
3,464 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm taking certification classes at my local community college (early childhood development and education - infants). Today was my first class. I have school phobia so it wasn't the easiest thing in the world. That's where I still really struggle with my anxiety. BUT I went and I actually liked it. There are 21 girls in my class (yep, all girls, because I guess no guys wanted to take Early Childhood Education, haha, I don't know).

I sat in a left-handed desk though...which I felt stupid for because I didn't think, "I'm right-handed. I should sit in a right-handed desk." It just didn't occur to me because I'm not used to those desks and then I didn't wanna move to a different one because I didn't want to make the girl I was sitting next to feel like I didn't want to sit next to her. I got over it though. I was comfortable in my seat.

I also got nervous that for some reason my professor wouldn't call my name and I'd be embarrassed and I'd have some crappy stuff to worry about...but she did call it so it was fine, haha.

And then when I got up to put my paper on her desk and these girls started laughing. I reminded myself that I haven't done anything to laugh at and that they're allowed to laugh at something that has nothing to do with me, haha.

Oh, after class these 2 girls came and introduced themselves to me. One of the girls had brought up a point that some people might not speak up in class but they're still good workers so I thought she wasn't too intimidating. The other girl had responded to her comment in class that everyone there is an adult and is or will be a teacher so they would have to practice empathy anyway...blah, blah...so she wasn't intimidating to me either.

All in all I'd say it was a good first day and I'm really glad I went!​

·
Registered
56 Posts
Awesome :) Seems like you handled that class very well.
It's nice to have a good, confident start at uni. Good luck!

·
Registered
5,120 Posts
I'm right-handed and have often sat at left-handed desks, usually just because they're at the end of the rows so they're easiest to get to when most seats are full. I have felt a little nervous about it in the past, but I know I shouldn't, and I've seen other right-handed people use them, too. :)

·
Registered
4,309 Posts
Good for you :) Sounds like it went well.
I can relate to all the anxious thoughts you described in your post, so it's nice to know I'm not alone in my worries. I hope your next class goes as well as today did!

·
Registered
258 Posts
Cool Beans!

·
3rd SAS Battalion
886 Posts
Well done, it's natural to get nervous especially with social anxiety, you know you can do it though so keep that in mind.

·
A Living Woman
3,464 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks guys! My next class is today. :)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts