Social Anxiety Support Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
One of my biggest fears and admittedly part of the reason I stayed in ....well...there is no other way of saying it....what I now recognize was an emotionally abusive relationship .....was because I thought that due to my history of SA, I had no choice. I genuinely believed that without that specific woman, I wouldn't be able to find another due to my lack of social skills.

When she broke off the engagement I thought that was it. I thought I would revert back to how I was 10 years ago when I entered this website.

But I grossly underestimated my progress over the years.
I am very happy now, and I have the experience to, at the very least recognize manipulative/emotionally abuse behaviour, and avoid it.

So to anyone just joining the website and struggling with these issues ...take it from me.....it does get better with practise and time .....it just takes longer for us 馃槃

experimental sincerity
Great post - I'm happy for you!

Registered
Congratulations!

That is inspiring.. I think sometimes we can have the tendency to view all potential relationships through the lens of one that went terribly wrong. I'm slowly warming to the idea of dating again, but I perhaps need to do some more work on myself first.

I'm happy you have found a healthy relationship.. Hope it works out well! 馃榾馃挒

Registered
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yea. Thanks guys. All too often SA makes it easy to be hyperfocused on your own failures, that it's hard to claim your successes.
But today I am claiming this success.
And I want to put out the positive energy.
It is entirely possible to come back from failures, even a failure as big as your fiancee walking out on you.

@Greenmacaron
I wish you the best of luck. There are aweful people in the world. But there are wonderful people too.

Registered
Hi VIncymon,

Congratulations! I'm glad that things worked out for you in the end. I hope everything goes really well.

I've taken some encouragement from this post too, so thank you.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts