Social Anxiety Support Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
492 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I won't tell you where I work, but I'll just tell you that it was for one of the big box retailers. I have a bunch of people on my Facebook page that are managers and coworkers. Some people found a link to my blog site and it got around work. Some thought it was the most hilarious blog they ever heard but others found it "repulsively offensive". It was very embarrassing to have to face these people at work judging me. Do they not realize what tongue and cheek humor is? After I refused to take the blog down they fired me arguing that I was not accurately representing the company with my views. I am thinking about fighting this but I'm scared as hell. Maybe you guys can tell me what you think by reading a few entries. Maybe they had a good point? Hell, what do I do?

http://infectedcalf.blogspot.com/

Matt.

·
Registered
1,125 Posts
HAHA....There's some funny sh*t here, man. I like the way you think. Sorry you got fired, though. That's rough....and kinda ridiculous, considering the fact that some of your former coworkers are probably involved in controversial and possibly illegal stuff outside of work that no one knows about (odds are)

I'd look into your options here. Maybe you can fight it.

·
Some people juggle geese.
946 Posts
I don't get it? what is so offensive that just having it on an unaffiliated blog gets you fired. Granted I haven't read every word of it, but...

lets say there was really offensive material, can companies fire you for material on your blog? that's scary if they can. I mean if you wrote a letter to an editor that didn't represent the companies views you wouldn't be fired right? Just because you work for a company doesn't mean you are the company. When are people going to realize that employees are not assets owned by a company and if employees have no stake in the companies success they are not going to be model workers.

I get the fact that employers might look at your profiles and let it affect their decision to hire you, but this is taking it too far. I don't know where your from, or much on the law, but ergh! I wish I could tell you it wouldn't be a big waste of time and money to file a lawsuit because man I think this one is justified.

·
Registered
3,428 Posts
I think that if these are your own words on that blog your next step could be a stand up comedian. That is a really funny blog. Nothing ever makes me laugh and I laughed. There is no way that you should be fired for that. That's not fair!

·
Registered
716 Posts
Your coworkers might just be the most retarded people. Firing you over what? How does the workplace and an internet blog have to do with anything? That should be on private matters, it's not like you're advertising, and who else is reading it?

Is this company really that insecure of someones personal humor and thoughts? That's just ****ing pathetic to a whole new level.

·
Registered
260 Posts
I don't get it...what's so offensive? What the hell does your internet blog have to do with your job?

·
Registered
5,554 Posts
Wow, what an uptight company. Have you removed anything from the blog? Because I don't really see anything that they should care about. As long as you do your job fine what should they care what you do or say on your own time? It's not like your bashing the company on your blog.

·
Registered
4,027 Posts
What??
I thought you must have been bagging out the company or something. Pretty sure they are praying you dont question it because I cant see what grounds they have.

I loved your blog, very funny.

·
Registered
492 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for the encouragement guys. If no one seems to be offended by it than know I really don't understand my ex-employer's policy. It would almost be easier if someone said "yes, its offensive to some". Who wins in a court case wheres its freedom of speech VS freedom to employ who you want?

·
SAS Member
31,297 Posts
I saw a couple blog posts where someone might have took it the wrong way. The one bad thing about the internet is that companies can use it to find you and what you represent. I saw lots of stories where people were fired over what they said over the internet. It sucks, but I don't think you have a case.

·
Registered
59 Posts
keep your stuff private !

Its after the fact now , but I do not add any co-workers as friends . You never know who might have it in for you and want to get you fired . Work should be kept as work and not friendships ! Many may disagree , but this is why I feel this way . I have been burned by co-workers I thought I trusted . One gave me bad advice on purpose then betrayed me to the boss ... So now I keep my work life totally seperate from my personal life ...

·
Registered
748 Posts
If this blog has nothing to do with your ex-employers/company then surely they can't fire you as it has nothing to do with them.

That's like someone firing an employee because they didn't like one of their photos on flickr.

·
Registered
18,888 Posts
Businesses have an image to keep up... They need to be on the straight and narrow. Their employees are a part of that image, so yeah, they have a point.

That's like someone firing an employee because they didn't like one of their photos on flickr.
Same would go for that too! If you're a lawyer working for a reputable law firm, they're not going to put up with you posting drunken, naked pictures on Facebook or Flickr for everyone to see.

It's not about what they think of it personally. It's about how it reflects on the company.

·
Registered
260 Posts
Businesses have an image to keep up... They need to be on the straight and narrow. Their employees are a part of that image, so yeah, they have a point.

Same would go for that too! If you're a lawyer working for a reputable law firm, they're not going to put up with you posting drunken, naked pictures on Facebook or Flickr for everyone to see.

It's not about what they think of it personally. It's about how it reflects on the company.
Dude he works for a retail store, not a legal firm...plus no where in that blog did he use his own name or that of his company, as far as I can see. If retailers started to fire people for what they posted on the internet they'd lose most of their workforce. You can't get that sort of loyalty for what? like $10-12 an hour.

This seems more like a case of office politics.

·
Big Damn Hero
890 Posts
I like your blog... it's funny. I can understand you getting fired if it had references to your employer, it was talking directly about the company you work for, or you were a well known pr guy, director or something like that... but as it is it seems stupid to me. It doesn't even mention who you are so i really don't see what the problem is.

No idea if you have a case, probably not, but they're asshats if they really fired you for that.

·
Quo
1,441 Posts
http://www.eff.org/wp/blog-safely

This has happened to many other people. Unfortunately, I don't think you have much recourse (and if you did, there's still the cost to consider). The thought police are getting more efficient. That's why I crank up the privacy settings on FB and make sure my name isn't connected with any of my online activities.

I can only imagine a blog that "accurately represents the company."

"Dear blog, today I spent the money I earned from my job at Best Buy to get a brand new widescreen Sony HDTV (now only $800 with $150 mail-in rebate) at Best Buy. Take care, dear readers, and remember: Shop Best Buy."

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.