Social Anxiety Support Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My name is Christopher, I'm 26, and diagnosed with Asperger's Syndrome. Throughout my life I've had a lot of social struggles with social situations amongst friends. I've begun to feel in a way since my friend Adam left for the Air Force like my heart has begun to close in on the World around me in a way.
I'm not depressed so much as I am confused. What I wouldn't give for the World to completely accept those like me with Asperger's. We are constantly misunderstood amongst the World around us, and in many cases outnumbered by the 99.9% of Neurotypicals in Society overall. Talk about Overwhelming, and it doesn't make matters easier when you live in America like I do a country of people who act like they are Extroverted or know how to function exceptionally well in society. WE Aspergians deserve more respect in Society overall.

·
Awesome.
884 Posts
I once worked for a man with Asperger's. He had been in retail management for decades. I absolutely loved him. He was hilarious, and I don't mean that he was a novelty or that he was funny because of his condition. I mean that he had a hilarious sense of humor. Anyway, I just wanted you to hear about someone with Asperger's who has been successful in a way that someone with Asperger's is not expected to be. People skills are such a huge part of managing. I was thoroughly impressed by him.

I will also just say that I think it's a matter of confusion sometimes. When I first met my manager, I thought he was just really awkward. I didn't realize there was some kind of condition there. It wasn't until someone told me he had Asperger's that I started to understand him a little better. So I guess I would just say that you shouldn't necessarily hide the fact that you have it. I honestly don't know from experience, but I have a feeling that people will be more understanding than you think.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts