Social Anxiety Support Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Gone, Never Coming Back
4,863 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've always been somewhat of a rebel when it comes to being forced to do things. If someone says to me that I have to do something, I ask them why. Why do I need to do this? What gives you the authority to tell me that this is necessary? I'm just playing around most of the time, but it does reflect how I feel about things.

I feel like I can learn in University, but if you tell me to learn the material, I can't do it. But when I do my own reading outside of school, I find material easier to remember. It's because in University, I'm forced to work at a very specific pace, and that bogs my mind down with facts and information that I can't possibly retain. But when I do my own personal research and reading, I don't feel any pressure, so I can focus better.

Maybe that's just me, but I think it explains why I've been really unmotivated this past year.

·
Registered
267 Posts
It kind of applies to me in some areas of life as well, especially languages. I remember back in HS I used to have German and although I really wanted to master the language (as I had been to Germany several times), I just couldn't find any motivation to study in the pace that was given, so I studied enough to get past tests and forgot it all after. But when it was summer, I started studying myself and I got so good that when school started I almost didn't need to worry about tests, written or oral tasks as it was simple to me.

I also don't want to do things my parents tell me to do, because for my whole life they've been doing that..well, now they can't anymore, so now they ask me to do things and requests I can manage.

For other stuff in the university I just find motivation and dicipline to do it. If I don't, I will fail, if I fail, I will have to revise and redo the test, if I fail then ultimately I will drop out and would have to move back in with my parents and my situation would be 10x worse. I just love uni so much!

·
Registered
166 Posts
I'm like that too! I also find that I learn things better when I'm not forced to do things by teachers. I get extremely stressed out if I have a deadline. I wish school was like that, that you can the school work whenever you want. unfortunately it isn't.

·
Gone, Never Coming Back
4,863 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I mainly made this thread out of frustration with the way this semester has gone. I was trying to read a book for one of my classes, but it's nothing but psychological studies. I can't tell you how much my brains hurts from seeing so many symbols and numbers that I don't recognize. I did well when I took stats and research methods, but I didn't care enough about the material to remember any of it.

For the exam I have tomorrow, I actually do care about the material. I just found it overwhelming with how much my internet has been messing up lately (I have an ebook version of the textbook). Therefore, I was completely lost and tomorrow, I will not do too well as a result. Right now I just want to get through it.

·
Registered
12 Posts
The only answer is you have to force yourself to find an interest in it. Maybe some aspect of it is cool. You have to find that. Try to ignore the (I have to learn this so this is classified as school stuff and I automatically hate it). When you find an interest in the material you are actually taking the degree another level in making it your hobby.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts